Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,665   Online: 902

Thread: blarg tulsa.

Shooter
    35mm

blarg tulsa.

It's where I live, and where I make most of my images.
    I shoot with a Nikon F3, and 98% of what I do is silver process.
    I shoot available light only, partly due to a lifetime of bad flash pictures on crummy C41, and partly because I don't know how to use a non-auto flash. As a result I've only shot 3 rolls of ISO100; everything else is 400+.
    I've only been shooting for real on film for a year. I learned on a K1000 in high school, and have shot film in many classes since then, but didn't think of myself as a photographer. Demographic labels...

I make pictures of inanities. I perceive lines and edges more than I do colors or textures; I'm a draftsman more than a painter. My aim is to make stark, journalistic, hyper-factual images of things nobody notices because they are everywhere, because there are beautiful lines and forms in every thing and place.
    I aspire to be a street photographer, but I am shy with people I have no connection with and am simultaneously extroverted, so it matters what people think of me. It makes it very hard to confront someone confidently with a camera.

I worry about the death of film, and engage in its use partially as a connection to a time before mine, because I have never felt properly tied to my age, as if I were born 10 years too late. I love old things, especially tools and mechanical devices, but I also rely on my iPhone because I am a child of my generation, no matter how out of place I feel. I love being connected to the shared information resource and consciousness of humanity; I like to feel connected to my surroundings, and the Internet is part of my personal geography.

I see photography as recording that which surrounds me thereby creating things to add to that environment, but it makes me feel dishonest to stage things. I never move anything in the compositions I make images of; I perceive, I observe, I document, and I move on.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from NYC.

There are no certainties in life - but one.

IOS

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome from Chicago.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome. What's a Blarg?
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by thebanana View Post
    Welcome. What's a Blarg?
    Onomatopoeia. Say it out loud, with slight exasperation. ^_^

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from western Massachusetts!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Washington DC, the national capitol of Blarg.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yahoo, someone else from not only Oklahoma but also my hometown, Tulsa!!! Welcome, I have been waiting a while for someone nearby on APUG. I also shoot black and white, have my own darkroom and love old things, like myself!! Great site, great info... Yes and what is "Blarg"?
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by okto View Post
    I have never felt properly tied to my age, as if I were born 10 years too late. I love old things, especially tools and mechanical devices, but I also rely on my iPhone because I am a child of my generation, no matter how out of place I feel.
    Welcome, Okto! I like your connection to what's older and more traditional, as well as your currency. I look forward to your posts. You'll like it here!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Okto. You are amongst kindred spirits. Jump in when you feel the groove.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin