Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,914   Posts: 1,556,278   Online: 945

Thread: Hi all

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Greetings. I happened across the site thanks to Ailsa's pointer in the B&W Photography editorial (thanks Ailsa&#33 and thought it'd be polite to introduce myself.

My background is in computer programming and IT support. I currently run a 24/7 help desk team with an additional role in QA auditing. I started getting interested in photography about four years ago, first with a compact then (to get more control) my Dad's fully manual 35mm Pentax S1a. After a while I got the basics down but my shots were nowhere near as good as I wanted.

The problem wasn't the camera but the idiot holding it. So, I signed up for evening classes and read a lot. I've now migrated to a Nikon F80 with a few lenses and have also become addicted to wet B&W darkroom work.

Favourite subjects are... ...er, well, diverse&#33; <g> I seem to do best with landscapes and flower macros, but sometimes surprise myself with people shots. Favourite materials are Fuji E6 for colour work (mainly Velvia) and FP4+ / Delta 400 / Delta 3200 for B&W with Ilford Multigrade WT RC.

My ambitions are to improve my skills and the quality of my work. I&#39;d like to have some shots published in a magazine (sending some in would probably be a good start&#33 and ultimately exhibit some somewhere.

Anyway, that&#39;s me. See you around in the forums sometime&#33;

Frank
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the site Frank

Images
    Frank, welcome to APUG&#33; Where do you live?
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hi Frank, Welcome aboard. It is good to have you.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (FrankB @ May 6 2003, 01:08 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> After a while I got the basics down but my shots were nowhere near as good as I wanted.

The problem wasn&#39;t the camera but the idiot holding it. So, I signed up for evening classes and read a lot. I&#39;ve now migrated to a Nikon F80 with a few lenses and have also become addicted to wet B&W darkroom work.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Same with me. My shots are nowhere near as good as I want them either. It doesn&#39;t end ... one just arbitrarily chooses someplace to stop for the moment and hang a few on the wall.

I doubt that there is an idiot holding the camera. Don&#39;t be too hard on yourself. Post a few of your "best" here. I think you&#39;ll be pleasantly surprised at the comments.

One thing I&#39;ve noticed in teaching: the average student usually does not recognize the good work that they do. My best advice ... keep photographing. You have a style now ... everyone does ... and its clarity is linked to your own sense of freedom.

Welcome to APUG&#33;&#33;&#33;
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all the replies.

bmac - I&#39;m based in Northwest UK

Ed - Thanks for the encouragement. I&#39;m happy to say that I have improved in the last four years&#33; Starting on a fully manual 40 year old camera helped enormously.

There are large holes in my knowledge, though; I&#39;m just starting to use FB paper in the darkroom, I&#39;m about to start experimenting with toners, and matting and framing are also completely blank areas for me.

I&#39;ll post a few shots in the galleries when I get chance to scan them. I&#39;m attaching one to this message to be going on with (if I get it right&#33. All comments/thoughts welcome.

Regards

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Frank,

Welcome to the forum, it&#39;s good to have yet another Brit.

You&#39;re not a million miles away from me, I live in the Northumberland National Park near the Scottish border, perhaps we should arrange to meet when I visit the Lakes, usually in the heart of winter.

"Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks Les. Drop me a line next time you&#39;re planning a trip and we&#39;ll see if we can meet up.

I reckon I owe you a pint for that article in B&W on split-grade printing; I have a print of Scaleber Force in Yorkshire that wouldn&#39;t have worked without that technique&#33;

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin