Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,197   Posts: 1,531,423   Online: 790

Thread: New website

Ola

Shooter
    4x5 Format

New website

Hi, recently uploaded my website and would appreciate some casual feedback. At the moment the gallery section is admittedly on the thin side, but seeing you have to start somewhere I put it online nonetheless. There is, however, a good deal of links (more than 1600) mainly focusing on traditional/classic/analogue/you-get-the-idea photography. Having read so much good info on the net I thought I ought to make an effort and sort some of it out. Also, from the miscellaneous section you can download a free screensaver/desktop-pictures folder (B&W industry & architecture, optimised for screens with a viewing ratio of 10:16, e.g. most Mac screens). Hope you will enjoy it.

http://bawpy.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a big problem with the heading texts overlapping, I've emailed a screen capture.

This is with Firefox/Vista, also with IE, and on a number of pages.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 01-18-2008 at 04:10 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Add IE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ola,

The intro is a bit boring i think. why not just land on your homepage? an extra intro page is an extra bump in the road to leave before they've seen your actual site. and beware that not everybody had a big monitor. in does not fit in my 1280 x 1024 screen. the pictures are nice and works very nice on opera 9.25 on Ubuntu Gutsy.

cheers,

RJ

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    to echo ijsbeer, I have to scroll to see the entire images, which I find very annoying. Also, on the page after the intro, when I click on the photographs link I then have to move over and click on the gallery link. Since there is only one choice from the photographs link, take me directly there instead of making me click one more time.

Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Ola. Welcome to the group. I think you'll like it here. As to the website, I mirror previous remarks. I has good information, but it's packaged all wrong to my liking. Now I realize that it is an extension of your art so I don't have to like it, it must satisfy your soul, not mine. Mine is to busy and I am in the process of simplifying it some. But hang around. You'll get all kinds of unwanted advice (just kidding). Thank you.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Ola,

Welcome to the forum. I would echo what has been said previously, the Intro doesn't really add anything to your site and for me, I would prefer to just go straight to your home page. It would be nice if the photograph on your home page could be viewed without having to scroll, perhaps resizing the title andor the image would help. One other thing, I would change the "Start" button to a "Home" button so that visitors can jump back to your homepage from anywhere on the site without having to go to the intro page again.

David
    I want to take the photograph I think I'm taking

Ola

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the quick, polite, and precise feedback!!!

Image size is a difficult one, indeed. I rather like them big, but if it means plenty of scrolling for the majority I guess it's not worth it.

The problem with the headings running into one another seems to be isolated to IE users, my best guess thus far is that it was an 'expanding-box-problem', I've made some changes and hope it has gone away/improved (I'm on a mac so I haven't been able to check it yet).

Again, thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ola View Post
    Thanks for the quick, polite, and precise feedback!!!
    The problem with the headings running into one another seems to be isolated to IE users, my best guess thus far is that it was an 'expanding-box-problem'.

Again, thanks!
    No the headings text problem is in Seamonkey(Netscape) and Firefox too, as well as IE.

I suspect the problem is with the program used to write the pages, because saving a page and looking at it in Dreamweaver, or Seamonkey the Text is overlapping the photographs/other text.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Although not new to this forum, the announcement of my new website was perhaps inappropriate under the heading of Presentation and Marketing. Sales have never been a prime motivation for my visual journey.

Please take a look at my website and, if inclined, respond with suggestions.

Merg Ross

http://mergross.com/

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin