Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,838   Posts: 1,582,467   Online: 757

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Not a another Canadian...

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking here for a while but have yet to post and it seems ridiculous to do so without introducing myself first. So here I am: I'm Canadian-born and bred (from west to east: Calgary, the Interlake (MB), Winnipeg, and Toronto) but I'm a bit of a nomad, having spent six years in Japan and almost two here in France. I'll probably be off to the Middle East in the coming year, but that's yet to be confirmed.

I've always been the family and school photographer growing up, but it's not until I moved to Japan that I realized I needed something more than my little APS point-and-shoot to get closer to my dream of taking Nat.Geographic type photos. So I bought my first SLR, a Nikon FE, started using slide film, and haven't looked back since (although surprisingly, NG has not come knocking on my door.)

I love film and all the processes involved with it. Unfortunately, I've grown to love it at the same rate that digital has been taking over the public consciousness. When I first bought my camera in 2001, most people I knew were still using film. Now, I very rarely, if ever, see other people with film cameras. I often feel like I'm in a race against time to learn and use various materials (films, papers, etc) before they disappear entirely. I have many old manual cameras (and one automatic - the F100) that I just don't have enough time to use. Despite that, I can't help but want to acquire more cameras to experiment and shoot with -- I'm especially interested in 4X5 cameras and other medium format systems, but since most of my photography is travel-based, I often have to compromise and go with the smallest and the lightest.

Unfortunately, you won't find a gallery or portfolio of my work here. Although I do have a scanner, I can't use it in my current situation (it's a complicated story). I've been shooting slides for many years now, but it's only been in the last two years that I've become really devoted to black and white processing. I love working in the darkroom and I really hope to develop my skills here now that I have cheap and easy access to one near where I live.

Well, that's about it. Cheers all,

Rachelle

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from England.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rachelle.
    A big welcome from Canada's east coast.This is "THE" place to be.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from another Canadian living in Toronto.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo from austria

welcome in europe.

"I often feel like I'm in a race against time to learn and use various materials (films, papers, etc) before they disappear entirely"

you are so right.

ag

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rachelle, welcome from England.
    Steve

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision" - Maxi Jazz

Website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome from Hamilton.
    Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Glad you've arrived here

You have been doing quite well to find the time to do the darkroom stuff while on the move, as it were. I just put my darkroom into storage while I was on a 4 year Austrailian assignment.

Glad that you have found this site - you will find a ton of like minded people, as far as shooting film, and, as we call it, GAS - gear aquisition syndrome.

Shooter
    Holga
    Welcome, from a Canadian living in Ireland!

Catherine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Rachelle!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin