Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,156   Online: 869

Thread: Hello,

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    After a month of lurking on this forum I thought I should say hello and introduce myself.

I'm a large format shooter working in black and white with landscapes, water, buildings and the human figure as my normal subject matter. I have been working with large format cameras since I bought my first one in the fall of my senior year in HS in 1980. I tried some small and medium format cameras during the 80's but always went back to the 4x5. Since the negative were so much easier to print.

About 1989 I was starting to get into some alternative processes, so I made the choice to try shooting 8x10. I fell in love with the format, the negative and contact printing. After a couple of years the 8x10 still wasn't big enough, so 11x14 and 8x20 cameras followed.

During most of the 90's I was printing my work in Platinum/Palladium materials. Now, I am just contact printing my work on silver based materials. Some is printed with Azo, some is printed other papers, depends on what the print needs.

I'm not a big tech guy. The polar ice caps will have reached NJ by the time I ever do a film/developer test again. I did one of those in school, I still don't understand what the big push is for people do them as often as they do. I've seen too many full-toned boring images from people who spend too much time testing materials and not enough time shooting. I'd much rather go out and make images. If that means staying with the same film/developer combinations that have worked for me in the past, I'm ok with that.

Anyway, enough about me, here is a link to my work:
    http://www.georgelosse.com

George
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Images
    Welcome! And beautiful images on your site!
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome George, Good to have you on board. I concur with Brian, you have many beautiful images on your site.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (George Losse @ May 16 2003, 06:13 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>After a month of lurking on this forum I thought I should say hello and introduce myself.

I&#39;m not a big tech guy. The polar ice caps will have reached NJ by the time I ever do a film/developer test again. I did one of those in school, I still don&#39;t understand what the big push is for people do them as often as they do. I&#39;ve seen too many full-toned boring images from people who spend too much time testing materials and not enough time shooting. I&#39;d much rather go out and make images. If that means staying with the same film/developer combinations that have worked for me in the past, I&#39;m ok with that.

</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    Welcome, George.

I&#39;ve just visited your site ... my compliments ... excellent work&#33;&#33;

I&#39;m especially impressed by your work with [ frames ] from "In the Gallery"

Really fine work with a much abused, so-called, "trick". I *like* the way you have used the concept to enhance and compliment your images. A couple of magnitudes above the usual.

I have an interest in various film/ developer/ paper/ printing combinations, but I don&#39;t thrash around with them much either.

I&#39;m going back to your web site and study that "Frame business" again. It&#39;s called "The Rapture of the Work".
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Welcome George, cool idea that "gallery" work......I am for testing, but once I find a combination I like I sitck with it. If I had not moved to Mexico, I would still be using Tmx on Tmax RS developer. WHich I used for years.

Congrats on the work, very cool....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi George, and welcome. I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll find this site to be very friendly and informative, I know I have. I really liked your website - excellent&#33;

Brian
    Brian McDowell

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    "When the polar ice caps have reached NJ"--is that like "when hell freezes over"?

Welcome, George. I too particularly enjoyed the "Gallery" section of the website, as well as the "Route 30" project.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Thanks everybody for the kind words. I hope I&#39;ll have some things to add to the conversations here.

David:
    "When the polar ice caps have reached NJ"--is that like "when hell freezes over"?

Yes, but the ice got down here during at least one of the ice ages so its not totally out of the question.

Aggie:
    I&#39;ve had some more men on the site in the past. I actually have shot a fare amount of men, they just got rotated out of this version of the site. They have always seemed to sell well in NY though.

thanks again everybody,
    George
    George Losse
    www.georgelosse.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (George Losse @ May 19 2003, 06:53 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Thanks everybody for the kind words. I hope I&#39;ll have some things to add to the conversations here. ...

...I&#39;ve had some more men on the site in the past. I actually have shot a fare amount of men, they just got rotated out of this version of the site. They have always seemed to sell well in NY though.
    </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I don&#39;t think we are trying to be kind - just honest.

Male nudes are the most difficult for me. Must be something left over from a high school, Army, ... or wherever ... "locker room" syndrome, where it just did not do to pay much attention to one another.

But, I guess, it is a "rite of passage" - sort of. I have one of those sessions scheduled for Thursday.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin