Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,695   Posts: 1,549,064   Online: 1029

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hello from Ted Smith Photography

Hi

I was referred here from photo.net when I asked a question about learning how to 'spot' a scene that would be suitable for black and white.

I have always used film (on my old Olympus OM10) up until 2006 when I bought a Nikon D70's. I have always preferred the quality of film but felt that I'd learn quicker (and less expensively) using digital which I've been doing for the last couple of years. I'm now becoming ambidextrous and shoot both film and digital on my Nikon D70s and Nikon F80.

I have recently bought a fresh stash of Fuji Velvia 50 and some Kodak T-MAX 100.

I have lurked on these forums for a few days to see if it was a community that looked like my kind of thing. Having read a thread about the mass of photography magazines that harp on about digital techniques and Photoshop and little else I decided this is a community for me. I'm not interested in how I can 'make a picture better using curves' or some other digital trick. I strive to get it right in camera and want to press a shutter and have a lovelly print arrive on my door some days later. I don;t always manage that, of course, but that's what I strive to achieve!

While I love my D70s', I am yet to produce a print from it that matches the quality\saturation\vividness etc of a shot taken on an exposure of good film. So, while I'm not adverse to digital and will continue to shoot digital to aid my learning and when time is of the essence, film is still best for me :-) Currently I am particularily interested in learning about black and white.

I am an enthusiastic photographer who's status is 'semi-pro' merely because I do earn a little bit of money from my photography and am registered as 'self-employed' alongside my day job. But I don't earn much so I'm just an enthusiastic amateur really.

You can see my website at www.tedsmithphotography.com I am based in Derbyshire, UK.

Looking forward to posting and learning more from you all.

Ted
    Last edited by ted_smith; 02-24-2008 at 11:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the Forum Ted.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Seems to me you've come to the right place.

There are several others here who own and use d*g*tal "cameras", only we don't talk about it.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Ted, well come, as i am a new to the forum as well, i am still finding my way around, a big site.

Graham

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, have fun around!

Cheers

André

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ted - it's always good to have more to represent the UK here.

PS - in my opinion (not that you asked for it ...) there is no scene that is best for black and white - or colour for that matter. It's all about how you see and then how you realise your perception of the light and subject matter in front of you, no matter whether you're using a top-notch Digi SLR or an 8x10 view camera.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Ted,
    Welcome from the Canadian prairies!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from NYC.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Ted, and welcome. I think our paths have crossed on another forum. Much better here

Cheers, Lol

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin