Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,500   Posts: 1,543,287   Online: 944

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Tiara, from the west coast of Canada.

APUG is a great internet resource, with lots of generous help available.

Where (generally speaking) are you located? There may be APUG people near you who can provide help that isn't easily provided over the internet, or can suggest other resources (courses, retail outlets, etc.) that would also be helpful.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, Tiara, from Australia. Be sure to ask lots of questions and you will learn, but most of all, have fun.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Tiara,

Welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Walrath View Post
    Hi there, Tiara. Allow me to be the first to welcome you to the group. What kind of camera did you get? What lenses and accessories do you have? What sort of photography interests you? Again, welcome to the forum.

I just got an old camera. It is a Canon AE-1 but it is in pretty good shape. I have quite a few accessories and lenses. I have:
    Canon Lens: 35mm 1:2.5
    135mm 1:3.5
    200mm 1:3.5 lens hood on this one

Tamron: 28-70mm 1:3.5-4.5

Vivitar: 75-205mm 1:3.8 Macro Focusing zoom

I also have colored lenses:
    Red
    Green
    Yellow
    Blue
    A couple polarizing
    A cross screen

This is most of the stuff that I have.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    Welcome, Tiara, from the west coast of Canada.

APUG is a great internet resource, with lots of generous help available.

Where (generally speaking) are you located? There may be APUG people near you who can provide help that isn't easily provided over the internet, or can suggest other resources (courses, retail outlets, etc.) that would also be helpful.

Matt

I am located the Centennial State, Colorado.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from England, enjoy the film adventure.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Advice to a beginner: Don't give in to the temptation to go glass-crazy; stick with one lens until you get the hang of exposure, otherwise it's too easy to get distracted. The 35mm is a good choice. Stick with black and white, and process it yourself if you can, to really get a feel for what you're doing. Avoid too many gimmicks, keep it simple to start with, and only later branch out.

See if there's a night school or camera club in your area that will let you use their darkroom, take a course, hang out with 'offline' photographers, and learn all you can. Don't be afraid to take the camera with you to places you expect to see interesting things (walk in the park, day at school, social events, whatever), and don't be afraid to be 'on the prowl' for pictures. Awesome images don't come automatically; you need to go out and get them.

And don't be discouraged. There is something of a learning curve, and you'll get so-so results for a while. Keep at it.

And have fun!

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome from another U.K. APUGer. Sounds as if camera and lens-wise you're off to a good start. Plenty of help and advice here

pentaxuser

hec
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    welcome to the group!
    I would second kavandje's advice on using one lens, so that you learn to "see" with it.
    But the greatest tool you can have in your bag is Patience. Do not rush the compositions, there is almost always something you can do to improve it, and it's better to see that in the viewfinder than on the print.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome! Now that I've passed my highschool photo course and been posting here for 4 days I feel I'm entitled to welcome people :-D

I would agree to stay with one lens. The 35mm should be able to cover pretty much anything. I shot an entire photo trip on a 28mm. Of course I found out it broke around the third day of five and the last two days were overexposed :-/ Have fun!

What path do you plan to take? Are you going to shoot ye old supermarket film and hand it to the dude at the one hour photo store or are you going to go old school black and white and get yourself an enlarger? If you go with plan A have fun and if you go with plan B have more fun.

Does your school have a darkroom/photo teacher? You could start there for some advice.

It really doesn't matter how you get about taking pictures as long as you're taking pictures. The point is not what film or what camera, but merely the end result.

You'll find that analog is more fun than digital. I shoot super 8 movie film and I have to say that is so much more fun than video!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin