Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,884   Posts: 1,520,527   Online: 840

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yet Another Newbie(tm)

...this time in Africa.

I live in Windhoek, Namibia, and recently re-immersed myself in proper photography. I have what people call a 'hybrid' workflow (I scan my negatives), and shoot 35mm and 120, with cameras ranging from vintage to modern. My current favourite weapons are a Leica MP, a Yashicamat 124, a beater Canon A-1 and an old Agfa Isolette.

I'm giving serious thought to expanding into 4x5 in the near future; the landscapes around these parts are just too good to miss, and I'm definitely interested in making my own chemicals for the simple and pragmatic reason that it is literally impossible to get chemicals in Windhoek.

So yeah: any questions, ask away!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey there!
    I find it a pleasure to welcome to APUG people from interesting places of the world and ones that have a story to tell!
    I took a quick peek at your photos in flickr and you see to have some good material there, definitely worth spending
    more time to investigate.
    Since you are open to questions, I would like to know how is the film situation there.
    You mention that is impossible to get chemicals. So do you shoot C-41 films? Have BW processed in a lab?
    How about the types of film one can buy, paper?

And of course any story about you and the country you want to share with us!
    I would be most interested to meeting you.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

welcome!!

Wow-Namibia-we are really moving up in the world...film rules and always will!!
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Heh.

Part of the reason why I went back to film -- from being a perfectly sensible digital photographer -- is because I am an ornery freak who doesn't have much time for convention.

The film and paper situation is definitely tough going. I get virtually all of my film from Monochrom.de (who have improbably patient staff and excellent service), shipped to friends or family in Germany, who then curse me for making them cram yet more stuff into their luggage. Paper isn't relevant to me in the absence of an enlarger; if I need decent quality prints I send high quality TIFs to a lab in Walvis Bay, which is ~400 km away, and so definitely an 'as I need it' enterprise.
    I process my film in my darkened bathrooom using whatever I can get; I have to say my favourite film/developer combination right now has got to be Rollei Retro/Rodinal.

If you're travelling to Namibia, bring film. If you're shooting b&w any time other than morning or evening, bring a deep yellow or deep red filter at least; the light throughout the day is harsh, rock-hard and overpowering. But overall, it's lovely.

Thanks for the flickr compliments btw!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    & Peter: Thanks for the welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Indiana in the USA!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from western Pennsylvania, USA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to Apug.

The little I know about Windhoek, and its surroundings, interests me and I would love to see some of your photos.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, there's a Windhoek group on Flickr, of which I'm a member, and my own flickr pages are linked from my profile, so browse away!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from England, enjoy the forum.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin