Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,571   Online: 839

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    The sad fact is that most labs have either gone digital or gone bust, this means that there a lot of experienced people out there.
    Your best chance may be companies/organizations that have picture libraries, especially those whose pictures are likely to be large format.
    When I worked as a printer we did some work for Rolls Royce(Bristol), it could be worth calling them, they had an extensive archive.
    With the way things are moving I suspect that any work with photo libraries now would be transferring the images to digital.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    My lab has not completely fell into that void.
    Though we still process film and hand print there is only enough of that work for a very few workers.
    The bulk of commercial projects, in fact any projects have a digital element. Without this equipment we would have closed as well , or let me put it differently I would not have any rented square footage in downtown Toronto and I would have absolutely no staff.

2002 was a critical year, where I made the decision to reinvest into digital gear. It was the right decision for Elevator and we have grown and kept people employed.
    But on the other hand , with the world flattening with the internet and forums such like this I could have not invested, moved to my dream farm and continued in traditional printing and made a decent living for my wife and I. She processes film for Elevator , I print up to murals and we both know how to mount prints and frame to very large sizes..

So to the Original Poster here is my two cents on the subject. If you want to be a printer.

the time is ripe, you have no competition,
    Equipment is cheap, you are in a major international hub.
    rent a small space, start up a small hand line, printing and small frame shop, if you are any good, if you have inner strength and a good personality , clients will come, one at a time, referal after referal. What is needed as a good printer is the ability to listen and try to give your client what they want.

If you see my site I print mostly by the hour on my clients paper. This is exactly what my wife and I will do when I retire, move to the farm and print for those still wanting my craft. I am a betting man and I believe I will be doing this until the day I die.
    I am totally convinced that in each major hub worldwide there is room for this service, I know Mr Frizza in Austrailia is trying this out, I am not aware of any younger printers renting workable space in my area but they would do well , there definately still room for hand crafted prints with care.

Regarding the experience level.. I did not have any one teacher spell out wonderment of fiber printing, it started the first time I saw an image emerge. You can stand all day long and watch someone expose on the enlarger , but unfortunately for me it all came by practice, practice, practice.

tip one... make sure you can mount frame what you produce.100% added income.
    tip two.... manually or rotary process non replenish film
    tip three.. get a good archival washer
    tip four.. print some shows that go on walls where photographers will see.
    tip fourA.. do this at cost if it needs to be*people will see your work and want to know who the printer is**
    tip five.. get a good internet presence
    tip six.. make sure your shop is ground floor and not above anyone*floods*
    tip seven.. work seven days a week
    tip eight .. stand up for yourself and any workers with arrogant clients.
    tip nine.. be a good listener and make extra prints,, up down density,contrast
    tip ten.. dodge burn every image you make in your career
    tip eleven.. learn split contrast printing
    tip twelve.. pay your bills first
    tip thirteen.. pay your taxes second
    tip fourteen.. pay yourself
    tip fifteen.. go to as many shows to see your competition
    tip sixteen.. do not have live on credit cards
    tip seventeen.. pay all debts
    tip eighteen.. establish good credit with good suppliers and be faithful to them.
    tip ninteen.. always redo work even if you thing you are right.
    tip twenty... work hard and at a consistant level each day.

good luck
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by yellowcat View Post
    The sad fact is that most labs have either gone digital or gone bust, this means that there a lot of experienced people out there.
    Your best chance may be companies/organizations that have picture libraries, especially those whose pictures are likely to be large format.
    When I worked as a printer we did some work for Rolls Royce(Bristol), it could be worth calling them, they had an extensive archive.
    With the way things are moving I suspect that any work with photo libraries now would be transferring the images to digital.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bob, well put!
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

bravo

Bob as you know I own the Lighthouse Lab in Sydney australia, a small analog pro lab. Your tips for buisness couldn't be more spot on. i launched a small buisness in exactly the way you mention and im reaping huge benefits from it. The market is totally in favor of small lab techs.

~Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    My lab has not completely fell into that void.
    Though we still process film and hand print there is only enough of that work for a very few workers.
    The bulk of commercial projects, in fact any projects have a digital element. Without this equipment we would have closed as well , or let me put it differently I would not have any rented square footage in downtown Toronto and I would have absolutely no staff.

2002 was a critical year, where I made the decision to reinvest into digital gear. It was the right decision for Elevator and we have grown and kept people employed.
    But on the other hand , with the world flattening with the internet and forums such like this I could have not invested, moved to my dream farm and continued in traditional printing and made a decent living for my wife and I. She processes film for Elevator , I print up to murals and we both know how to mount prints and frame to very large sizes..

So to the Original Poster here is my two cents on the subject. If you want to be a printer.

the time is ripe, you have no competition,
    Equipment is cheap, you are in a major international hub.
    rent a small space, start up a small hand line, printing and small frame shop, if you are any good, if you have inner strength and a good personality , clients will come, one at a time, referal after referal. What is needed as a good printer is the ability to listen and try to give your client what they want.

If you see my site I print mostly by the hour on my clients paper. This is exactly what my wife and I will do when I retire, move to the farm and print for those still wanting my craft. I am a betting man and I believe I will be doing this until the day I die.
    I am totally convinced that in each major hub worldwide there is room for this service, I know Mr Frizza in Austrailia is trying this out, I am not aware of any younger printers renting workable space in my area but they would do well , there definately still room for hand crafted prints with care.

Regarding the experience level.. I did not have any one teacher spell out wonderment of fiber printing, it started the first time I saw an image emerge. You can stand all day long and watch someone expose on the enlarger , but unfortunately for me it all came by practice, practice, practice.

tip one... make sure you can mount frame what you produce.100% added income.
    tip two.... manually or rotary process non replenish film
    tip three.. get a good archival washer
    tip four.. print some shows that go on walls where photographers will see.
    tip fourA.. do this at cost if it needs to be*people will see your work and want to know who the printer is**
    tip five.. get a good internet presence
    tip six.. make sure your shop is ground floor and not above anyone*floods*
    tip seven.. work seven days a week
    tip eight .. stand up for yourself and any workers with arrogant clients.
    tip nine.. be a good listener and make extra prints,, up down density,contrast
    tip ten.. dodge burn every image you make in your career
    tip eleven.. learn split contrast printing
    tip twelve.. pay your bills first
    tip thirteen.. pay your taxes second
    tip fourteen.. pay yourself
    tip fifteen.. go to as many shows to see your competition
    tip sixteen.. do not have live on credit cards
    tip seventeen.. pay all debts
    tip eighteen.. establish good credit with good suppliers and be faithful to them.
    tip ninteen.. always redo work even if you thing you are right.
    tip twenty... work hard and at a consistant level each day.

good luck
    Bob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You know what I discovered in my little town, that was quite surprising to me? A lot of people want to learn traditional darkroom techniques and perhaps also digital hybrid stuff with trad'l output. I listed a minicourse at my university and -bam!- 30 students tried to get in, the course was literally into a waitlist 3 minutes after listing. Now I am setting up some private summer workshops and even with the university students out of town I am getting plenty of interest. If you are able to teach trad'l methods and have a darkroom, I would imagine in a city as large as London, you will find many eager students.

Just a way to make some bucks on the side whilst also building a resume...
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    thank you everyone for some invaluable advice...it's been printed!

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    [QUOTE=keithwms;637152]You know what I discovered in my little town, that was quite surprising to me? A lot of people want to learn traditional darkroom techniques and perhaps also digital hybrid stuff with trad'l output. I listed a minicourse at my university and -bam!- 30 students tried to get in, the course was literally into a waitlist 3 minutes after listing. Now I am setting up some private summer workshops and even with the university students out of town I am getting plenty of interest.
    [QUOTE]

This doesn't surprise me at all. I've worked in IT all my working life and got into black and white photography as an escape from computers. If you think about it, kids spend there whole time at home, college and then in most workplaces sitting in front of computer. The last thing you want to do is spend your leisure time in front of one. Digital photography forces you to do that.
    I think what you are experiencing is a reaction from people who simply aren't interested in bits and bytes and want to escape to something more craft oriented and not nearly as objective as working with computers.

Shooter
    35mm
    you folk with years of experience and skills to share should link up and offer a world tour of trad darkrooms work experience! I am also looking to study abroad.....it's all very encouraging....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin