Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,524   Posts: 1,543,849   Online: 856

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Guess I could intoduce myself . . .

I've been hanging around for a few years and have not bothered to introduce myself. Hi, I'm Bill and I'm a Leo. What is your sign? Oh, forgive me, I was having a flashback.

Let me start over, now that I've shaken the ferns out of my head.

Photography has been an interest of mine since I was a child. Interesting enough that I studied it in college and received a BS in Photography in 1971. After working as a photographer for a couple of years, life took me down a different path. I was away from active photography for about 28 years. As I looked toward the horizon and saw retirement looming, a decision was made to give serious thought to what my days would look like when my career completed. I bought a camera, got hooked up with some local groups and started rediscovering that which I had enjoyed in the past. The past 8 or 9 years have been great. I use Olympus 35mm, a variety of old folders, same of pinholes, a Toyo AX 4X5 and yes, one from the other side.

My photography is about half the "real deal" and half from the dark side. Currently I'm getting my feet wet with alt processes. I'll move into a new home the end of the year and will then have my first real dedicated darkroom. It is about 160 sq. ft. Guess I could send a picture of it framed up, however will wait until it is complete. I currently live in the Houston area, where I teach a beginners photo class at night. My new home will be in the Texas Hill Country, between Austin and San Antonio.

So there you go. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the forum Bill, thanks for the intro.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice to have you aboard, Bill.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Bill - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Bill!!

Ok, so we've chatted before..... but I wanted to say Hi anyway.
    What local groups do you belong to? I'd sure love to connect with y'all... gets kinda lonely in these rural areas around Houston.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Valerie, I belong to Houston Photographic Society (hpsonline.org) and Houston Center for Photography (hcponline.org). Have taken classes at The Glassell School for the past 3 or 4 years (http://www.mfah.org/destination2.asp...=&currentPage=). Have also done workshops with Texas Photographic Society, Texas PP of A, Rocky Mountain School, Nancy Rotenberg/Natural Tapestries and will be doing an alt process workshop with Christopher James the end of this month. The Woodlands has a pretty active photo club. HCP has ongoing programs throughout the year including critque/discussion groups and if you have the time Glassell has some interesting classes. Among the many classes they are offering this summer, they are offering one on the history of photography which will include visits to the collection at the MFA. Great stuff! Bill Barber

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, Bill. So, being from Texas you naturally shoot large format? Right? Everything bigger and all that? HA HA ha ha . . . (chirp chirp)
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Large format only if you count 4X5 or 6X17 on 120 film. With what some of you folks use, mine feels like I'm using a Minox. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Bill, from Minnesota.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin