Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,889   Posts: 1,520,817   Online: 1166

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Shooter
    35mm
    I'm actually incredibly tech savy, as are a lot of APUG'ers. We tend to be more on the computer and server side of stuff, instead of the camera side.

I buy CD's, not LP's...for example. (No quality gain to be had in one over the other, but there is lots of rare vinyl that is simply not avalable on CD, which is why I also have a record player.)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm actually incredibly tech savy, as are a lot of APUG'ers. We tend to be more on the computer and server side of stuff, instead of the camera side.
    I buy CD's, not LP's...for example. (No quality gain to be had in one over the other, but there is lots of rare vinyl that is simply not avalable on CD, which is why I also have a record player.)
    Yes, but everyone here understands analog and accepts it. Everyone who I have talked to out side of APUG doesn't understand why I would still choose to shoot with film, or hardly understands the traditional manual camera in the first place. I'm glad to be here though because there's others who see things the way I do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Alisha - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Glad you found APUG, a great place to meet and make new friends. Plenty of info here also. Enjoy your time here.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Alisha View Post
    I will warn you, get CHEAP film. I spend all of my money on film and film processing...literally.
    lol I already spend half my money on film and processing. The other half goes to buying cameras.
    In case you don't already know, some of the least expensive film is available from Freestyle Photo. They have a line of house-brand products called "Arista." The Arista.EDU Ultra products are the current price champs. They're made by Foma. Other Arista products are made by others (including Kodak for some new bulk-loaded 35mm film). Pay attention to the specific name (Arista Premium, Arista.EDU Ultra, etc.). Personally, I rather like the look of the Foma products, although the quality control leaves a bit to be desired.

Speaking of bulk loading, that can be a good way to save money on 35mm film. For instance: a 100-foot bulk roll of Arista.EDU Ultra 400 costs $23.99. That'll give you about 18 36-exposure rolls. Each 36-exposure roll of this film costs $2.39, so 18 rolls would set you back $43.02. You can pick up a used bulk loader on eBay for $10-$30 shipped (sometimes a bit more if the auction includes lots of extras). A new one costs about $30-$50. You'll need film cartridges, but if you load onto cartridges from a minilab these can be free. The bottom line is that bulk loading will pay for itself after just one or two bulk rolls.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I get around 22 rolls from a 100FT roll of Tri-x, so it comes out to 2.50$ a roll.

I should look into the Arista.EDU. Is that a good enough film for "professional" use? What I mean by that is, is the quality good enough to enlarge to 11x14 or so?
    Marko Kovacevic
    Blog
    Youtube

Shooter
    35mm
    It's all subjective, Marko. I've got an 11x14 print from a photo made on 35mm Arista.EDU Ultra/Fomapan 400. (Note the "Ultra;" Arista.EDU was Forte, and I believe it's all gone at this point.) I don't find the grain objectionable in this 11x14 print. Others disagree with me; I've seen posts from people who think that Foma films' grain is just too big, and who wouldn't enlarge to 11x14. The only way to know, really, is to try the film yourself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG is a very mature community, they don't care about how old you are...all they care about is how civil you are, and what you have to say. Maybe that is because we lack gearheads that must have the next best thing,
    I think that's true, except that we just have a different type of gearhead. Instead of the "get the new stuff, it's the best", we have "get it all, get it all, it's all good" types.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Being captured by film rather than the other way around. Welcome to the forum, Alisha.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin