Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,983   Online: 856

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JGC

Shooter
    35mm

Hi from a born again OM user

Hi folks,

Time for a quick intro … my name is John, and I have a problem. I thought I was cured, but like any addiction it only takes one “taste” to get you right back to square one.

After starting work back in the UK my first “serious” purchase was a chrome OM-1 which I still own, however what I really wanted at the time was a black OM-2 (yup, I was a David Bailey / Patrick Lichfield wannabe).

Being young and skint, I couldn’t afford much by way of an outfit at the time, but I did enjoy my photography.

Obviously, over the years other … “distractions” have presented themselves, but I’d always managed to pick up a camera here and there, and from time to time and more recently I’ve ended up with an EOS outfit whilst the OM-1’s been in storage.

Then, recently a “relationship readjustment” persuaded me to leave home in NZ and find some work here in Perth, WA where I responded to an ad in the local motorcycle club rag for some bits for a bike that I’m trying to get back on the road (did I mention other distractions ).

After we’d shaken hands on the deal for the bike bits the lady asked if I was interested in cameras and photography and proceeded to pull out her late hubby’s camera bag.

Obviously you’ve guessed what was in there … yup, a black OM-2 … and reading through a few of the posts I can see that I’m amongst like minded folk, so I know you’ll understand when I say that common sense went out of the window and I had to have the camera.

Sure the old girl needs a little tlc to get it back to its best, but I’m hooked … again … and I’ll also be digging out the OM-1 outfit from its current hiding place and putting it back into service in the very near future.

OK, introductions over. I’m off to ask some dumb questions in the 35mm forum …

Cheers

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dumb question answered

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from the south east coast of British Columbia Canada.

Not born again, but that's because I never stopped (34 years, 6 OM bodies, lots of lenses and flashes, etc., etc.).

Matt

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from England.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome, John. And just sos ya know we have many PhD's here who are qualified to prescribe the treatment of G. A. S. The best way out is through. So again, welcome.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    I know what you're going through. I am the same way about Spotmatics.

Welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    35mm
    Ahh it was fate you found that OM2!

Welcome yo APUG, i've just joined here too, and theres a massive amount of info around.

I'm bit of an OM fanatic too, and it doesnt make it any easier when they're still relatively cheap. I have way too many of them.
    Have fun

JGC

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the greets guys ... it's nice to find a like minded (similarly afflicted) crowd.

As has been pointed out, there seems to be a huge wealth of knowledge and information here, and I'm looking forward to taking advantage of it.

So far I'm really impressed by the quality of the replies to my wide angle question, assuming you skip over my stuff that is.

I think I'm going to like it round here.

With respect to GAS it took a bit of googling, but I got there.

My initial reaction was “Never, not me” until I realised that I already own 3 35mm SLR’s, and then there’s a couple of point ‘n shoots in there, not counting the Minox B and dad’s old Agfa rangefinder that’s in a box in my parents loft.

… and then there’s three BMW motorcycles to consider …

At this point I’ll change my plea to “guilty, as charged”

… but those are my only GAS issues … honestly … apart from fishing and diving gear ...

Cheers guys (and gals)

Have a good 'un

John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the newest of England's...& enjoy!

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the forum from St. Louis, MO USA.

I acquired my OM-1 through a similar (and strange) circumstance. One of my co-workers had brought it in to work to throw it away in the laboratory trash. He asked me if I wanted it first. He even had the original manual in German (he's German and bought it there a long time ago). So needless to say, I took it and have used it a lot since then. It is in pristine condition and basically he told me he was 'going digital'. I did my job and kept it out of the landfill.
    Diane

Halak 41

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin