Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,219   Posts: 1,532,233   Online: 837

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

New user from California

Hey everybody, Jason Brunner got me to come here and have a look/see. By the way, Jason sent me a nice fat check in the mail to say that! Heheh, Jason I really dig your videos on YouTube. Well now...... this seems like the place!

Well, let me introduce myself. I am one sharp monkey! hehe.. okay, well, that's not a good introduction. Let me back up a bit and start over.

I'm at the top of the hill here in life, having a look around and I'm sort experiencing a pattern in my life. This is my strange dichotemy. My career or job is as a software engineer/developer/designer/architect. So, I'm making money in the digital world you see. But I ride a bike to work and back. I used to own a ton of electric guitars and basses, and all that digital equipment for taking the soundwaves and doing things with them. But I sold all that stuff a few days before 9/11/01. Now I play only one guitar, a Jose Ramirez R1 classical. There are no pickups on this guitar. It is... analog. About 5 years ago, I suddenly out of the blue remembered how to crochet. I was suffering from a poor season after a failed business (long story, and I'm not going into that here). So I crocheted something for everyone in my family. Imagine a surly dude doing something grandma used to do. Hahah, blows my mind still. Well, I got so far into the fiber arts I started knitting, and I was getting darn good with it too. All the old ladies wanted to know all my secret tips. And I bought tons of knitting machines. And then I bought one that was electronic. Figured I'd write a software program to pattern the knit straight from the computer to the machine and use that program to download pixelated graphics (i.e. photographs). But something went wrong, when I received the machine from UPS it turns out the eBay seller was quite the liar. It was one rusted heaping pile of junk. Nothing worked. So that set me about on another purging of digital things. Back to the manual.. analog world.

Well, when I was a young little whipper snapper, I jumped into the photography world. This started for me in the darkroom in Patrick Henry Junior High School. I so wanted to be a photographer, until I found out that most of them were poor and struggled to maintain a life. :rolleyes: Ahh the youthful things we do. So I went onto other creative endeavors ultimately. But not before I wasted about 10 years in a career that taxed my brain cells, but paid mightly well. I was a Real Estate Appraiser. And I snapped off oh.. at least 2 36 exposure rolls of 35mm daily, on the job. I applied my artistic talent to the mundane job. The photos were only seen by the boss, and the loan officer and the underwriter. I know.. such a small audience. But I got praises galore because I've got the eye... y'know.

Well, then along came digital photography. And I must confess I jumped in deep. But.. in the past few years I've really desired to express myself through another artform, yet again. Down went the knitting needles, down went the paint brushes, down went the computer and the so called "plan" to startup another dot com like last time.. only minus any failures and lawsuits and the like. I'm going back to my roots you see. I can't stand digital cameras to be honest. The only thing they are really any good for is for gettin' your stuff up on eBay!

So.. I've bought myself some darkroom equipment from some student who is having a hard time making ends meet and contemplating moving back in with his mother (hello economy!). I'm sort of dead set here at converting my bathroom and walkin closet or both, into a darkroom but shhhhhhhhhh, don't tell the landlord!

I haven't yet decided upon what camera and what format to get involved with again. But honestly I'm thinking medium format at the least, however I got me this Beseler 35 enlarger and I'm thinking 35 has a lot of indication as to the film size that it accepts! So, unless I want to buy more equipment before I get started maybe I should get me a cheep 35 mm camera to play with.

I used to be a huge huge fan of Olympus OM-2. I still am. What a great camera! Man I had a great setup for that camera, the OM-10 also, and let's see.. what else have I gotten my stinkin fingers on in my life? I think my first SLR was a Yashika. I've had a couple of TLR's, I think one was a Rolleiflex I didn't like that thing.. it had a lens stuck on it you could not take off! Oh but it shot outrageously sweet negatives. I had a Mamiya 220 also. I've had some Petax's and Nikons. Canons in there too. But I never had the money to plink down on a Hasselblad. Nor did I have the cash for a large format view camera. Well, now I'm older.. I don't have the income of a young little whipper snapper paper boy anymore. I've got the income of an underpaid software developer competing for jobs in the USA against Indian, Pakistani, and Philippinos. I smell a career change sometime.....

While I still have some money, maybe I ought to stock up on some equipment that is no longer being made.

So I've got one opening question for the people who have stuck around this long to read my long winded post.

Hasselblad?

or....

Mamiya 645 or RB 67?

or....

Bronica?

Are the Zeiss lenses on those Hasselblads really that superior to anything else?

I'm wondering if there ever has been some sort of scientific assessment performed to rate the Zeiss lenses on Hasselblads versus Sekor lenses on Mamiyas. I think that Rolleiflex I had gave me the nicest negatives I've ever shot. But this is memory. Sometime in the drug years of my 20's I let go of all my posessions, including my negative books and all that jazz. So I can only go by my memory. But the Rolleiflex had them Zeiss lenses as well.....
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

I also play guitar (usually the one to the left). I can't crochet but I can knit!

And I have an RB67.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va. Welcome to APUG. In my small collection of cameras, I do have a Rolleiflex. It does take great negatives, but in my case I do love mine!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sweeeeeeeeeet guitar dude! Thanks for the welcome.

Hey, you know, I saw "A hard days' night" on IFC (Independent Film Channel, here in the states) just one night ago and you know its funny you bring up the guitar, and in light of my Jose Ramirez.. we could jam together and Ringo too, and we'd have the whole basis for the song "And I love her". You know, that's a Ramirez in that song. It's about the only classical guitar lick in all of Rock n Roll history too. So you knit also? I see you're from Isle of Wight. Do you do any of that Aran knitting? That's wild stuff. Wow, I feel the warm fuzzies already! haahhah.. hey thanks for the welcome. I think I'll stick around here and grow like a fungus
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 1SharpMonkey View Post
    Sweeeeeeeeeet guitar dude! Thanks for the welcome.
    It certainly is. or was and will be again. A couple of weeks ago I managed to knock it over and broke the headstock. It's currently in for repair with a local violin builder who does exceptional work of this kind. It will be almost as good as new.

I see you're from Isle of Wight. Do you do any of that Aran knitting?
    No. That's from the Isle of Arran in Scotland (the other end of the UK!). I have been there and there are some pictures in page 4 of my gallery and some which are better than mine from a member called Shiny: http://www.apug.org/gallery/member.p...3893&protype=1

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Washington, DC. Sounds like a convoluted path back to analog, but it wouldn't have been half as much fun if it were simple, would it? As to the Zeiss lenses, I have always been a big Hassy fan, and until I decided I preferred large format, that was my weapon of choice. It makes a great travel camera, the optics are amazing. I think that the Zeiss T* coatings are what give their lenses that extra snap, with richer contrast, and that's what makes them special.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just about any camera will do... just go out and shoot!! Welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My career or job is as a software engineer/developer/designer/architect. So, I'm making money in the digital world you see. But I ride a bike to work and back.
    I work in IT and ride my bike to work every day!! (here in Socal, you can but when I lived in NYC, I still did but wayyyyy colder).

Hasselblad?
    Yes, get one.

RB 67?
    I used to work with one but not outside the studio. Do you have arms as big as
    our govenor?

Are the Zeiss lenses on those Hasselblads really that superior to anything else?
    To your ego...yes

Where in Socal are you? My boss just moved in with his GF and she's slowly finding all her darkroom equipment. So whatever extra I get..........

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Great story!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In a word?

YES

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin