Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,857   Posts: 1,583,100   Online: 944

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Analogist Anonymous

Hi,

My name is Chris.... and I am an Analogist....

It is hard to know where to begin... I guess it may have to do with the fact that my father was an analogist, and his father before him... they say it is in the Genes...

I was not ALWAYS an analogist... I mean, I used to a bit... as a youth... everyone did... but for years I gave it up... was on the Digi-wagon for the longest time... no demon Analog corrupted me...

But the spirit is weak....

I wanted to upgrade my canon EOS10D... it was nt bad as Digi goes... but my friend had a 5D... and although that was out of my range... i wanted the new 50D... or at least a 40D...

Then after all these years Demon analog reared its ugly head... On the way to the virtual store I was looking through a store window... and there, for peanuts was a Mamiya 645...

I dont know what drove me to it... i really cannot say... but I found myself on the information highway clutching Analog in a brown paper bag...

It went from bad to worse... from nowhere ANOTHER mamiya 645 popped up... then a hasselblad 500CM.... then because the Analog was befuddling my brain... I dont know why... but suddenly I found myself awaiting the arrival of the second 500CM....

My friends look at me strangely... I dont know why... I think I have managed to keep my secret... they look, give each other knowing glances... the room goes silent when I walk in... I do my best to have my 10D around my neck at all times... but they are not fooled... :-(

Maybe its the smell... the lingering traces of Rodinal.... yes... I have hit the hard stuff... I would not deny that i spent the last quarter of an hour fixing in my basement....

I need help....

Thank you for listening......

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The first step is admitting you have a problem....Welcome to APUG! We'll only make your condition worse.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.

Images
    I thought, by the title, you meant that you're anal about your photographs. I was going to say, I identify. Welcome!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I must add to the above... 2 mamiyas, 2 'Blads... and change left over... still cheaper than an EOS5D... and a just a bit more than the 50D.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am an analogist also. Being an analogist is like being lonely guard on an outpost, when a creepy sound is heard right behind your back. Whereas logging onto APUG is like being a really good athlete watching another team play in your spare time. And taking pictures is like when you smell a odor you haven't experienced since childhood, and the memories come tumbling back.

Heck, I have analogies for everything, sort of like the night sky has a lot of stars, and there are ones that you don't even know are there, but you really know they are there, because some person somewhere has a telescope and could show you if you only lived closer, but you don't , which is probably good, because sometimes the garlic parmesan ranch dressing you have on your lunch salad gives you some pretty killer breath, and the last thing you would want to have happen would be to compromise the friendship of the only person who can show you that stars you don't know exist really do exist, and losing a friendship like that would be a serious bummer, so it is probably good that you don't live that close.

So yes, I am an analogist too, which is like a warm refuge to which I can always return.
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Greetings from Richmond Va. You can count me as a analogist!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mooseontheloose View Post
    The first step is admitting you have a problem....Welcome to APUG! We'll only make your condition worse.
    He doesn't have a problem, he has a feature. One we all share. Toot, toot!
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from England.

Most of us have those same symptons.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome aboard Chris - plenty of fellow sufferers here

There is no cure, so just enjoy the ride!

Have fun, Bob.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin