Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,454   Online: 837

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another new guy

Shooter
    35mm

Another new guy

Hey all! I am actually fairly new to the whole photography realm. I am looking for a good entry level film cam that I can afford. There is quite a few that I am interested in. My name is Jesse and am mostly interested in outdoor/nature photography. The thing that throws me the most are the lenses. The most common slr's with lenses seem to be 28mm-80mm. Is that a good all around lense for what I am wanting to do? What else should I be looking at?Looking forward to alot of great info!
    Thanks,
    Jesse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jesse - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA. 28 - 80 is a common zoom lens with most SLRs. For more optimum results you may want a prime lens, a 28mm, 35mm, 50mm etc. And which one will depend on your shooting style or tastes.
    Good luck.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Jesse,

Welcome to APUG.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Jesse. Welcome from the frozen Canadian prairies
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va. I agree with papagene. You can use a good wide angle prime lens for landscape and could go for a good prime tele lens for birds etc. But it depends on what you like.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    So exaclty what the 28mm-80mm lense be good for? I am trying to keep my pics from looking like snapshots if you know what I mean. I would like to get a camera like the canon rebel eos with this lense because I have come along several that I could afford but If the lense would be useless for what I am wanting to do then I may be better off justbuying the body, then the lense seperate. Whatcha think? Oh by the way I live in S.E. Missouri about 15 minutes from the mighty mississippi! I noticed I hadn't told ya'll where I am at.
    Jesse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jesse... the 28-80 zoom may well be a good starter lens to learn on. It will let you know what focal lengths suit the way you see a potential photo. It can also teach you about framing the subject and composition if you are attentive. The lens is also relatively inexpensive and fairly lightweight.
    If you eventually get some good primes, the zoom can be a good family photo lens.
    The best thing to do is get out there and start taking a lot of photos. I betcha there are a lot of good scenes near you to photograph!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Papagene,
    Yeah that is what has got me so excited!
    I have lived in this area all my life so the surroundings just blend in after a while. But there are endless photo ops around here! There is a refuge where bald eagles nest about 45 minutes from my house. Then there is the Mississippi. There are several places you can get down to the river. They just built a new bridge from MO. to Il. I can get pics from. Tons of old barns, school houses, downtown Cape has alot of buildings and houses 100 plus years old. And the red clay hillsides have got to be caught on film! I can't wait! I will probably start with the 28-80 lense, then I'll step up after I have a few thousand photo under my belt so I will actually know what I am wanting. I am wanting to shoot some eery b&w shots of old twisted trees and old half gone barns. The ones that kind of give you a chill when you see them. you know, Beautiful but eery. There is some swamp land with plenty of cypress not too far away! This forum is AWESOME! I have got more feedback in one night than a week of some of the others. I don't know much about photography yet, but I am just drwan to film cameras for some reason. The "other" way seems like cheating and I don't seem to feel every shot is as important and thoughtful as it is with film.
    Jesse

Shooter
    35mm
    Zooms are handy, but can be an impediment to thinking about composition. If your going EF I'd recommend the zoom for an all around, but grab the nice little 28mm 2.8 for around a c-note used. It's a great lens for the money. It will lend you a different perspective and encourage more thoughtful composition for landscape work while you are starting out. JMO.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Washington DC!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin