Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,491   Posts: 1,542,964   Online: 869

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Douglas Adams wrote that the English pay penance for their sins through their sandwiches.

I suppose we photographers pay penance through our children.
    Three degrees of separation from Kevin Bacon.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lee
    The phrase "8 track" comes to mind.
    lee\c
    I knew I had read something somewhere that discussed this issue.

This is what I was talking about, "http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_534847.html?menu=news.latestheadlines"

This discusses the fact that the material was archived on an older system and the archive is not readable anymore.

I would think that being able to locate a particular image would be pretty hard also.

lee\c

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello, "Valthonis", and welcome to APUG.

As one of the very early users on the internet (since 1984(!)) and image processing (started 1992), I think I might be entitled to an opinion here

Somewhere in my stack of defunct computer gear is a floppy disc with scanned images from 1986. I used these for scientific purposes, using image processing (AIM, if you've ever heard about it) to produce a distribution profile across an igneous dyke...

Now, these floppies are still readable. But to get the images off htem, I need to reassemble my old Atari ST (remembering to keep presure on the blitter chip), read the floppy, copy the file to a PC formatted DS/DD floppy, which I might be lucky enough to be able to read on my new(ish) PC... I can then process the images after converting them from the native format to something a PC can understand, which will take at least another hour, ant try to extract the same information from them. But I don't think I can, since the software I used for processing no longer exists - except on my old Atari.

On the other hand, I printed a negative from 1898 yesterday. It was still in one piece, still readable, and could be processed on "state of the art" analog equipment (OK, so my analogue gear is older than my PC. So what?). The picture was (unfortunately) dead boring, but just as Knut Knutsen made it more than a century ago.

I don't expect my old Atari to work in 90 years - do you?

On the other hand, I'm thinking of putting up a web site. Want a short, underpaid job?

BTW, does someone have a list of "smiley codes" for this site?

Edited becasue I cna't spell at 2 am...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    Dinosaurs!
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sometimes it's nice to be a dinosaur
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm in a philosopher mood...

What do you drive: a car with a hand crank to start or a car with cruise control?
    How's your refrigerator: One that uses ice blocks to cool the beer (Ole, yours winter one doesn't count if you have one) or one you plug in the wall and forget?
    And your record player - you hand crank it to play each side of a record or one where you just put some CD's inside and let it go?

So, we use analog photo equipment for the sole reason WE LIKE THE WET PROCESS. We are craftspersons in this technique.

I really believe that, in the future, when digital becomes vastly improved (and, given time, this will happen), we will still be using it for this sole reason.

Jorge O

Images
    Jorge, I have a car with a crank start
    hi!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't crank my car to start it. But sometimes, particularly on wet and cold mornings, I have to push it to the head of the hill, and start it going down toward the village. I sometimes wish I HAD a crank...

My refrigerator's plugged into the wall. Unless I want something cooled really fast in the winter, in which case it goes outside

I have vinyl records, CD's, and stone plates (really, they're stone!). As soon as digit*l gets as good in photography as it is in audio, I'll slither over. But that doesn't mean there'll suddenly be a heap of good old stuff on ebay; I intend to keep my toys until I'm older than they are. As my oldest LF camera is now 69 years old, that is not likely to happen...
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    Bmac

You do not live in a home - you live in a museum!

Ole

I have a friend that was married to a Danish lady. He found it very unusual that, when he went to visit her family, there was a winter refrigerator - no motor, just a hole in the house wall covered by a steel plate, so the steel plate faced 'outside'. It was cold enought so the electric one could be unplugged for months...

Jorge O

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin