Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,371   Online: 1021

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ole
    Hello, "Valthonis", and welcome to APUG.

Somewhere in my stack of defunct computer gear is a floppy disc with scanned images from 1986. I used these for scientific purposes, using image processing (AIM, if you've ever heard about it) to produce a distribution profile across an igneous dyke...
    Ole, I have some images from a digital imaging class in College stored on some hard cased 3inch magneto optical disks. Not sure if any shop in NZ can read them, so I guess I'll have to send it over seas and pay shipping, etc. But I do have many negatives from the same time period, no issues with them..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have to admit I'd almost managed to forget the punch cards - haven't used them since 1978...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    35mm
    To boot my (well, kind of - I only was responsible for it) first computer, I had to use a punched tape generated in a TTY at boot time!

Would you believe it had 64K CORE memory?

Jorge O

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All a bunch of juniors. I became fairly proficient in the use of the Curta Calculator. Didn't need batteeries - or any electricity, for that matter.

I still have a Pickett Slide Rule around here somewhere.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    35mm
    Dunno, but this thread is going a bit off topic. But since it's the weekend...

I have what's probably the world mintest 30cm bamboo slide rule.

I've always wanted one, and I purchased it in Tokyo together with my first electronic calculator.

When I compared both...

Jorge O

*Clap Clap*
    People. People. We all have the oldest computer on the planet. Our fingers. Followed shortly by a stick and some open ground.

Well there will always be a way to get stuff off those old disks and readers. We didnt suddenly go from Punch card to DVD did we. The trick is finding the equipment to use.

Wouldnt you have hated to be a computer engineer during WW1? they didnt even have buttons. Just a wall of vacume tubes that had to be manualy adjusted, one by one, to calculate anything.

whats funny is on die Data Cashe hasnt changed from 64k. Level 1 cashe is still 64k large. Then you get level 2 and it just goes up from there.

Shooter
    35mm
    Valthonis

Fingers are base 10!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [quote="Valthonis: ....Wouldnt you have hated to be a computer engineer during WW1? they didnt even have buttons. Just a wall of vacume tubes that had to be manualy adjusted, one by one, to calculate anything. quote]

Val, try WWII. They hardle even had vacuum tubes in WWI. They did however have analog (moving chart) computers (yes, real computers) for fire control. And I d'no, after spending time wrapped inside a steel tube with 24 ICBMs all with multiple-targeted warheads, aimed and fired with the push of a button (or two, or three), I think I prefer the old fashioned mechanical things best.

My associates at MIT (those boys never studied - too much free time) once did a MTTF on the ENIAC system, the first true electronic computer. It turned out to be (theoretically...) 1.4 milliseconds. It is a wonder the d... thing worked AT ALL! We've come a long way (havent we?).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I remember when I was in grade school, my oldest brother sweating out some senior high physics assignment, slide rule smoking in his hands.

If I remember correctly, the PBS series "Connections" (the original and one of the best series ever produced for TV IMHO) argued that the first computer was used in the selection of what thread to weave at one point on looms to make sophisticated patterns in the late 1800s. Also around 1900 a punch card system was used to keep track, catalogue or "compute"statistics on immigrants coming into Ellis Island station.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin