Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,422   Online: 1046

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hi from the UK :D

Hi folks,

Just joined the site, very interesting. I hadn't done film photography for years until the last month or so when I got involved in a photography module for university. As a result in addition to my DSLR I have a Me Super, Me F ( which I'm treating as another super ) and an A3 ( which I probably won't use ). In addition I have a couple of zoom lenses ( bother 70-210 and some 50mm primes).

My current experiments and adventures include night time photography ( currently just digital but one of my bodys now has some 64 asa tungsten in it ) and black and white.

This :-

Is my favourite B&W shot so far.

One thing I do want to look at is self developing negatives (and E-6 colour reversal). Ultimately both BW and Colour but I really don't know where to start. Darkroom wise the kitchen will have to do and certainly in the forseable future I don't plan on doing the prints, I'll more likely scan the film and work that way.

Any tips and guides about getting started would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi ya Kat... welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello,

Developing colour film reliably is somewhat equipment depended. However, standard Paterson tanks work fine for black & white film development.

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Tom,

I got the basics of 'hardware' for developing a film I think (although someone going through them for my peace of mind wouldn't go amiss ) but chemicals are a different matter.

I currently shoot Kodak BW400CN film but would like to change to Ilford ( as it's a british company and decent reputation ) but don't know which films to go for. I'd like something that scans well (I'm guess the BW400CN's orange base doesn't help when scanning) and has a variety of ISO's and of course is easy to home develop.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Kodak film you're using is a C-41 process product as you'll be aware. The ILFORD C-41 black & white film is XP2 Super (without an orange base). In terms of conventional black & white films anything from Kodak, ILFORD, or Fuji is going to provide excellent quality and consistency. I use the ILFORD Delta series (120 film) a good deal. Try Ilfotec HC as a starting developer. Fotospeed have some good products as well including their FD10 film developer: www.fotospeed.com

Tom.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks again Tom

Would you say going for Delta is better than XP2 Super?

Assume I need other chemicals besides the HC?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HC is a rather syrupy concentrate so you may be better off with something like Ilfosol-S or Agfa Rodinal. A great advantage of Ilfotec HC is that it lasts for a long time once opened and works with a very wide range of films and characteristics. You can either dilute to make a stock solution or measure the concentrate on a per film basis using a syringe.

Temperature control is important as is making sure your developer solution is not contaminated by stop bath or fixer.

HP5 Plus, FP4 Plus, Pan F Plus, or the Delta films are black & white films, different in structure from XP2 which is fundamentally a colour negative film. If you are developing yourself I would suggest the black & white negative films by a long way. HP5 or FP4 may allow a greater degree of variation in consistency compared to the Delta films. The Delta films should get you less grain for the film speed.

Besides the film developer you will also need a stop bath (some people will disagree and suggest a running water stop) such as Ilfostop, and fixer such as ILFORD Rapid fixer or Hypam.

Silverprint is a good source of photo material supplies via mail order or in person:

www.silverprint.co.uk

Tom

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thankyou Tom, much appreciated. Just need my student loan now *smiles*

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Going back to your original post, in my experience one of the more difficult aspects of getting started with darkroom printing is achieving a lightproof space (e.g. building a darkroom) to begin with.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah or at least having the room - hence using the kitchen for now although I have just had a lightbulb moment. There is a project we want to do in the house which I could also use as a darkroom. Basically a small storeroom but could double use it.

I'm right in thinking there are bag's available to provide a simple lightproof area for loading the film into the reel and then into the tank?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin