Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,633   Posts: 1,648,085   Online: 915

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Hi From Montana! New to film!

Hi, I've been into photography since about 2002. I've been digital. Mostly just point and shoot as my camera did everything for me. I do a lot of computer editing but am just loosing interest in it. I'm on a computer at work, when visiting with freinds and family and for my hobby. Getting sick of the computer! I just decided this year to start over at the begining! I want to know what my camera is doing. I want to understand how everything works, so I've decided to go film with a manual camera! I purchased a Nikon FM2. I absolutely LOVE this camera.

I've just bought some darkroom equipment locally. I have no idea what I have or what I'm doing but have bought some books to learn (I'll probebly have a million questions!). I got a Beseler 23 C II enlarger. It is grubby (been stored in a garage), has a lense (have no idea wich one or how to take it out), no negative holder (will have to be one of my 1st purchases!), a color analyzer? wich I assume I won't need as I'm doing B&W, 2 easles (8x10 and 4x6), some 35mm film reals and tanks, developing trays small and large sizes, 3 timers? (don't need three I wouldn't think)!, thermometers, color developing tank, color printing filter set and various odds and ends. Hopefully I didn't spend too much ($125, but at least I didn't have to have it all shipped!) I'm stoked to get my darkroom built!

Just thought I'd introduce myself. Any thoughts or ideas are always appreciated. I like to learn new things.

Lori

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from Richmond, VA. You've come to the right place, there's a lot of information here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Minnesota! There's a whole gang of people here, about 30,000 or so, that started where you're at now.

It's hard to make general recommendations without knowing your questions, but a couple of things to consider. The enlarger lens - if it was stored on/with the enlarger, it stands a good chance of having some damage. If/when you get the lens out, hold it up to the light and look through it. If there's anything but clear glass between you and the light, you might be able to clean it - or you might not.

The contrast filters will probably need to be replaced. I have a spare bulb for a 23C that I'll never use. If you want it I'll send it to you. Just PM me your address.

Good luck, have fun, and ask lots of questions!

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from the Canadian prairies. You found the right place!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have one of the best enlargers to learn on. There are numerios instruction booklets over the internet. If you buy one you will probably be disappointed because they do not supply much information. There will be more people with the proper URL for these so just hang tough and go about SHOOTING. Need a 50 mm enlarger lens for 35mm negs. Read and read more. Have fun too. That is the most important advice I can give at the moment.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wow! Thanks for the welcomes everyone! I was just out trying to figure out how to get the lense off my enlarger! (If anyone knows how let me know!) It is a 80mm lense. I'll start looking for a 50mm! I found another thing in my 2 boxes of stuff. It is a heatrite print dryer and 2 ferreotype plates. Have no idea what they are for but will have fun learning! I forgot to say that I am a co leader in photography for 4H. I would like to learn enough to be able to teach the kids how to develop their own prints. I thought It would be fun for them. Anyway. I can tell this will be a great place to learn about my "new" hobby! Lori

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG from the PacificNorthwest. You will find lots of help and support here.

Best regards,

Bob
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the lens is on the enlarger you grasp it and the push back towards the frame on the back. You then lower the front of the lens holder. It is spring loaded. Just try to move the lens holder. When you find out you will say AAAHHH ! very easy once you know. The lens will have a lock nut on the thread of the lens. Some are just threaded to the lens holder. Check it out. It is quite hard to wreck a Beseler 23 II. I have 2 of them now.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks! I got the lens off! The lense is actually a 90mm 1:4 that is foggy and won't come clean so I'll have to replace any way. It was one of those AAAHHH moments! Thanks, Lori

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Lori,

Welcome to APUG. Congrats on getting down the rabbit hole! There is a link on my sig that will take you to a four part youtube video on how to develop roll film with those tanks you have. It's on 120 instead of 35, but other than the reel, everything is the same.

Looking forward to having you around.

J
    That's just, like, my opinion, man...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin