Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,704   Posts: 1,482,712   Online: 922

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Somerset, England (new member)

Greetings from Somerset, in the South West of England.

I am a newly registered member, so i thought I would post this brief (I hope!) intro in the way that most discussion forum seem to like!

I'm returning to my old hobby of photography after two (or more!) decades away....in the meantime having been interrupted by having kids, ergo being broke, having no time, etc etc etc. I have found that the digital format/methodology which has obviously taken hold in the intervening period just doesn't interest me as much as the analog methodology I was brought up with.

This time around, I want not only to get back into my picture-taking, but also to get some knowledge of processing, with a view not only to saving money on the heinous price of commercial processing, but also to get a greater control over the process as a whole. This might happen by joining a camera club which would give me access to darkroom facilities, or by setting up a limited facility at home - I don't really know the answer to that one yet.

I now find I own two SLRs - a Minolta X-300 with a 28-200mm Vivitar zoom lense (bought for £30 on Ebay) and a Canon AE-1 with Canon 50mm and a Tokina 70-200mm lenses, which was a gift from my brother and which probably requires servicing before I risk outting a film in it! Long-term, I plan to keep one for mono and the other for colour use, which I think will give me a good range of options.

I prefer print formats to slides, and I favour Fujicolour over other films (the colour pallet just appeals to me), and I enjoy shooting at high ASA speeds 200-400) because the light very often isn't too good, especially in the winter months, and using apertures about f8 seems to get me into difficuties with the longer folcal lengths I find I like to employ for a lot of what I enjoy doing, which is landscape-based, but using close-up techniques.

I'm looking forward to benefitting from the advice and experience of those who have been 'at it' for longer (and more importantly, more continuously) than I have, and will probably be posting a series of banal questions as time goes on - so apologies in advance!

All my personal info is in my profile, so please, feel free to be in touch if you want to!

David Popely
    Somerset, England

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi from North Devon.

I'm fairly new to the world of film and a 35mm user. I have found APUG an extremely useful fountain of knowledge and feel inspired by many of its members work.

All the best,
    Stephen
    S Raff

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Stephen - where in N Devon are you?! I'm in Martock, close to Yeovil and Langport.

If you'd prefer not to put that info on the forum, you can email me at davidcpopely@hotmail.co.uk

Nice to meet you!

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, David, from the other side of the pond in New England. Get that AE1 serviced if you can; the number of inexpensive FD lenses available for it make it worth the while. I do remember the light (or lack of same) in the winter of England. Shoot any film that works for you, but keep shooting. The APUG crowd will be an appreciative audience for your efforts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. Welcome to APUG. I also use Canon FD system.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from the Isle of Wight.

Steve.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, Steve, from Northern Virginia, near Washington D.C.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm at Great Torrington, close to Bideford and Barnstaple. Its fairly ideal with Exmoor and Dartmoor pretty close and some of the most rugged coastline in the south west.
    S Raff

Shooter
    35mm
    I know it a little. We're great Dartmoor fans - we were at Scorhill yesterday, ideal if you like rushing rivers and stone circles (it has both), but unfortunately was replete with tourists yesterday.

The Ring o' Bells at Chagford is also nearby!

Worth a visit........

David

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Welcome, David, from the other side of England.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin