Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,723   Online: 975

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hi, I'm Dave from Phoenix

After perusing APUG daily for years, I have finally taken the plunge and become a subscriber. With all of the interesting and useful information I have gleaned from these forums, it's the least I can do to make a financial contribution.

As a teenager in the early 70's, I taught myself photography by reading books, and used a small bathroom in my parent's house as a darkroom. After college, I fell away from it for quite some time, though I had kept all of my gear. About 7 years ago I rekindled my interest, and have since converted half of my laundry room into a full time darkroom.

I use black and white film exclusively. I have a Canon EOS system with an adequate set of zoom and prime lenses. With 35mm, I tend to print relatively small, 5x8 to 8x10 max. I mount and mat my own photos, and make the frames for them as well. After seeing and reading so much about the lure of medium format image quality, I very recently purchased a Contax 645, but haven't had time yet to do any more than run and develop a single roll of film, no prints.

As far as my picture taking preferences, I like it all: street, portraits, landscapes, architecture, fine art, abstract, whatever. If I like what I see, I'll photograph it. Through the years I've come to appreciate 35mm as being flexible and versatile enough for my wide variety of subjects.

I have quite a bit of completed work, and I wouldn't mind sharing it, but I don't know much about scanning. I don't have a proper film scanner, but I can scan a print into a file with my HP Officejet. Would this be considered adequate? How do most of you get your images into your APUG portfolios?

Even when my busy schedule can preclude me from any hands on work for weeks at a time, APUG has allowed me to stay connected to photography on a daily basis, and I am grateful to all of you for that.

Many thanks and best regards to all,

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG ----- Are you the first person to become a Subscriber before you post !!!! I'd think so

Good on you

I think I was a teenager in the early 70's but I can't remember . . . . .

Scanning prints & negs is an art, I mastered it back in the early 90's but still don't do it properly for my personal work I know exactly what to do but won't print images specifically for scanning. FB prints don't scan well RC Glossy prints do - but I won't make them.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Dave!
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from the Canadian prairies!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from western PA!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Sent you a PM regarding locals.
    "I, in humility, am willing to learn, when you, in humility, are ready to teach." Rusty Tripod

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I hope you enjoy APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Dave, you are like a vast majority out there, learned on their own early, pursued other avenues of life, myself it was learn at 12, developing on my own through high school, then Vietnam, College for many years and several degrees, some digital and analog then finally back to analog. I was decided to go to ACCD and Brooks after I had two degrees but Commercial wasn't for me. Now with family raised, married since '72, a home and darkroom, it's great. Keep in good health and enjoy the craft.

Welcome to a great resource.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Calgary
    Gord

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin