Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,127   Online: 973

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hi

Hey. I'm Nicholas. I never introduced myself so here goes.

I hail from Boston Massachusetts. I'm I high school sophomore (license in 3 months) with way too much time on my hands to try things that most others would ignore. I'm fascinated as much by the process of photography and science behind it as photography itself.

I really began my photography adventure(?) shooting digital in green idiot mode for a few years just for family snapshots and vacation photos. Though I got started with film early on, I didn't get my own (real SLR film) camera until two years ago when I started my first real photo course, a semester class in which we covered lenses to dry mounting and shot two rolls of film a week.

I don't know how to describe it, but I really started liking film. Development carried with it anticipation, and the first glimpse of the negatives was a moment of triumph. I could see the material evidence of my photographs after taking them.

Because of a light course load, I spent two and a half hours a day in the photo lab screwing around and printing. I had a lot of fun in that course. During it I read up on color film (as it was a black and white course) and tried color separations with B+W film and even shot some super 8 while I was at it. I loved the look that color film gave to pictures. It was something I really hadn't seen with digital. However, when the course ended I went into deep depression fulfilling my course requirement of "Environmental Science." I kept up with my photography, though, and will be starting the "advanced" photo course in a week and a half, which will give me more experience with Large and Medium format and more time for me to have fun.

Anyways, after reading up I decided that everything I was told about how deadly color developing was wasn't true and built my own color darkroom for $250 in my laundry room, using the "towel under door" light proofing with gaffers tape. I even got a high tech temperature control device (I call it the sink). It's been a blast. Seeing color prints I made after that entire B+W course was breathtaking. And recently I even upgraded to an autofocus N80. Now I can think about pictures rather than the zone system and I don't have to get out the tape measure!

If anyone does not recognize my picture, the chicken-penguin, I found it while browsing the apug avatars (who put that there?) and had to have it. He's the silent evil mastermind from Wallace and Grommit-The wrong trousers. It was my favorite movie at the age of 6.

Next is convincing my friends to use film. Wish me luck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd say "welcome", but somehow it seems late..

How about I say: "Glad you are here!"

I'm particularly glad about your interest in colour!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll say welcome anyway. It's always a pleasure to see high school people here.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you are here Nicholas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va! I spend a lot of time in the darkroom also.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome. I too just started doing colour at home. A real blast isn't it? Pretty much anything you want to know is available here. The expertise of members here is just unbelievable.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Nicholas!
    Welcome to APUG! You've definitely landed among friends (or fiends as the case may be)!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Nicholas!

Which HS are you at? - My daughter went to Newton North and did a lot in their darkroom. It is nice to see schools still maintaining their darkrooms. Any chance that you can join us on the 18th in Belmont?

I shoot mostly in B&W, some color (E6 transparancies), everything developed at home. Most of my cameras are older than you are - some are older than I am, none have autofocus, and only a couple even have a battery. I love the organic nature of traditional photography.

Mark

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yes. It may be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
    Welcome Nicholas!

Which HS are you at? - My daughter went to Newton North and did a lot in their darkroom. It is nice to see schools still maintaining their darkrooms. Any chance that you can join us on the 18th in Belmont?

I shoot mostly in B&W, some color (E6 transparancies), everything developed at home. Most of my cameras are older than you are - some are older than I am, none have autofocus, and only a couple even have a battery. I love the organic nature of traditional photography.

Mark
    I like both completely manual photography with large format but sometimes I don't want to be bothered with exposure and focus, like when shooting snapshots of friends. My favorite type of photography is made using some of my school's coffee can pinhole cameras which have a near 180 degree view.

I go to Belmont Hill. The darkroom there is quite nice. I don't think it will be closing anytime soon. They don't do color work, but I plan to change that. They send out slides and digitally print on some inkjet printer.

I might be able to, but alas exams run through that week so I may be studying. I'll see.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin