Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,712   Posts: 1,482,994   Online: 842

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Greetings from the Midwest

Greetings everyone. I'm Ted. I live in Indiana. I'm 24.

First off, suffice it to say that I'm a true beginner when it comes to photography. I think it's an absolutely beautiful form of art and like all other forms, I didn't get the gene. With school being such a joy and all [sarcasm], I don't have a lot of time to devote to anything, but I love being outdoors, I absolutely love to travel, and so I think photography would be a wonderful fit for me.

I purchased a Sony alpha-100 DSLR last year and have used it on and off. Yesterday, on whim, I made my first analog purchase. I bought a Minolta x-370 with four lenses that appear to be in decent shape. I need to make a run into town and purchase a new battery and some film, but I'm excited to start experimenting.

Maybe when I have some free time I'll take a class. I'm curious to learn how others became proficient [e.g., an influential person, a class, parents, significant others, savants, etc.]

Hope everyone has a lovely Saturday.

Cheers,
    Ted :wave:

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ted welcome from another midwesterner (chicago area)

I can't say as i'm very proficient at the moment but i started reading books and have learned alot from this site. At some point i'd like to take some class instruction.

A member of this site J. Brunner has some you tube videos on developing film and other things that might help also.

Kevin

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Ted
    From my own experiences most people I've met are self taught with a little help along the way. But with the www you can be in touch with someone everyday. Welcome to APUG.

Cheers
    TEX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ted - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. I am self-taught... asked a lot of questions of friends back before internet access. Then just exposed a lot of film and made a lot of prints. Still learning!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ted,

Hi from a fellow Hoosier. What part of Indiana are you in?
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! This is a good place to start learning! There are also many sites where you can learn the basics of focusing, shutter speed, and other cool things. But when it comes to developing B&W film, or making slides, or doing color film, this is the place to be!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to everyone who said hello!

It's nice to hear that people are self-taught (there's still hope for me yet!)

Another question I thought of: do you guys generally prefer analog > digital exclusively? in some media but not others? just as a hobby? etc.

Chris, I'm currently in Indianapolis, but I've lived elsewhere in the state. How's Ft. Fun? [name I learned for it at tennis camp as a kid]

Cheers,
    Ted

Images
    Good Afternoon, Ted,

Welcome about 250 miles WSW of you in your neighboring state. Learning: Trial and error, with emphasis on the "error."

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond Va! I'm sure you'll love the Minolta X-370.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! I'm three hours north of you, in South Bend. I got started in photography by taking the family cameras along with me on school trips. Then my brother gave me an Argus C3 that I could call my own, and the adventure began in earnest. This was all back in the sixties and early seventies.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin