Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,801   Online: 823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Boone, NC

Well, I've posted a few dozen times already but I should probably introduce myself officially.

I'm Richard Thomas, and I spend most of my time in Boone, NC where I am working on an MA in Graphic Arts and Imaging Tech (I'm primarily interested in scanning and color management, but that's not why I'm here at APUG). My fiancee Monique, who is dedicated to film and her Canon Rebel, lives in Charlotte, NC and that is my second home. When I graduate for the fourth and final time this summer, I will doubtless move back to Charlotte (unless I can talk Monique into moving to Portland, Oregon!).

I was very active in photography in the 1990's, when I was in college I worked for my campus newspapers, and I gave a number of solo exhibits in the Boone area while I worked on my photography degree. However, when I graduated in 2000 I found it very hard to make ends meet with my camera, and so I got a "real job" and stayed on the career track... lots of fun... until early 2007 when I decided to get my Master's and return to imaging.

Most of my photography is of landscapes, macro work, and random found objects while walking around. I also like to photograph sunsets and the beach, and the weekend of Valentine's day I will be at Carolina Beach (east of Wilmington, NC) for two days to shoot some more film of the old boardwalk there. When people ask me what kind of photography I do, it's always hard to answer...

One of my current projects is to document the bands involved in the local college music scene in Boone, NC. Some of this work can be seen at http://www.flickr.com/photos/richardsbandphotos/ (but, it's all digital).

So, in the past two years, I have purchased or resurrected a few film cameras: a Mamiya RB67, a Nikon F4 and F100, and admittedly also a few digital cameras that shall remain nameless here. I've also pulled out some random oddities like my beloved Yashica 635 and Argus C3, a few interesting old Polaroid cameras that are also dear to Monique's heart, and generally have reconnected with film and photography.

On a more serious note, I am working as John Scarlata's graduate assistant, helping him create a digital archive of about 35 years' worth of large-format work. It's color and black and white, from 4x5 through 8x10; although he has worked in other formats, I haven't worked on any of that yet.

I have found this forum to be full of interesting topics and people; it's great to see that film and film cameras are alive and well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from the University of NC at Charlotte.

And Salisbury, NC.

Where are you getting your MA?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. I also have a Mamiya RB67 which I like a whole lot.

Jeff

Images
    Hello from about half way between Boone and Charlotte, in Alexander Co.! Welcome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome to the group, Richard. Hope you enjoy your stay.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello all;
    brofkand, I'm getting my master's at Appalachian State University (the same place I got my undergrad degree in tech photo). I used to work at UNC-Charlotte.

jgcull, I drive through Alexander County sometimes when I take 64 from Lenoir to Statesville (at least, I think that's Alexander County!); sometime I need to stop and take some pictures there.

Are there many members of APUG in NC? I gave the web address to the president of ASU's photo club but I don't think any of the members have joined.

Thanks for the welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from the shores of New England...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another New England welcome!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And a third New England welcome - from Springfield!!

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Richard! I'm a little late, but welcome! Haven't been around much on Apug myself.

Another one from North Carolina. My family and I have lived here for about 2 1/2 years now. Ironically, we were just in Blowing Rock and Boone about 2 1/2 weeks ago for a visit (some friends of my husband's own the Green Park Inn there in Blowing Rock). We're planning to be up that way again around the end of the month.

We were also at ASU's campus showing our daughter around since she's interested in attending (UNCG is a possibility as well).

Enjoy your visits here...it's a great board with some great people!

D-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin