Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,448   Online: 935

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Home??

Shooter
    Multi Format

Home??

Is this home, maybe? I'm new here, late of the Photo Net neighborhood. Not a bad place really, just too many never ending arguments over which is better, digital or film. So, being a film kind of guy I figured I'd go hang out with folk who feel the same way I do.
    I've been shooting film since the early 70s starting with my dads Argus C3, which I still have but haven't used in a long time. Moved into Canon FD gear in the late 70's and now have more of it than I need (or so my wife claims). I also enjoy the RB67 setup I have plus am having some fun with the Nikon F4S I recently purchased. Kinda weird me using a Nikon but they have gotten so cheap I just couldn't resist. Nothing like Craigslist and an impulsive personality!
    See ya!

Ed, in Loveland Colorado

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Ed.

If you like film, you'll love it here. There's not much discussion about digital, the site's moderators enforce a rather strict anti-digital policy. Its nice that it keeps out the arguments, but sucks if you shoot film and scan your negs because a lot of the people here get nasty about any mention of computers, even though those of us scanning shoot film and many of us never shoot digital.

How do you like your F4s? I have one I bought brand new back in 1994! I don't use it much, it is really too big and heavy. I was in high school and didn't know any better! It weighs almost as much as my Mamiya 645, and I figure if I have to carry a huge camera, might as well get medium format quality. LOL! My 35mm of choice is Olympus' OM system, nice and small!

There's a lot of people shooting Argus C3 cameras these days, I've always wanted to buy one to play with but all of them I've found were broken
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome Ed! You'll fit right in, I'm sure.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Ed,
    Welcome! I am also fairly new here, and although I have a Photo.net profile, I found that it was mostly about equipment envy... I much prefer APUG, there are endless interesting discussions here, and it's definitely for film shooters. I've got an F4 and I love it, it was my dream camera all through my extended stay in college during the 1990s, when it cost more than the car I drove. Didn't get it until the prices came down last year.

Chris,
    I have an old Argus C3 (my Mom's first student camera from the 1960s) and I got interested in using it again last year. Haven't done much with it yet, but doing some research, I stumbled across this article, http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/argus_c3.html, which claims that the C3 is pretty easy to work on. Also I had no idea it took interchangeable lenses and neither did my Mom!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from a northern neighbour
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome home from another northern neighbour, waaaay to the west of His Royal Banananess

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome home from another northern neighbour, waaaay to the west of His Royal Banananess

I don't know even know how to follow up after that statement!

Welcome to APUG Ed. I also migrated here from photo.net after years of being a member there. All my of queries usually ended in responses of why I should just bite the bullet and go digital, and I too got sick of the endless discussions of equipment and arguments over film versus digital. I still visit it, but this place is my home now (literally, it's my homepage at home and at work). APUG is a real community, and the generosity and openness of the people here is something I have not found anywhere else. I'm sure you'll love it here.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well first off, thanks for the warm welcome folks!

Chris, if you've ever wanted to start working on cameras then a C3 is a great way to start. They are stone simple with no electronics at all, just springs. Pop the front off and everything is right there and pretty much self explanatory. I like the F4 but yeah, its a heavy ole boy. People used to comment about my Canon T-90s being big cameras...sheesh, that F4S will really build up the arms muscles! I've been thinking about a Pentax of Mamiya 645 myself. The prices these great film cameras go for makes them hard to resist!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello from slightly east of his royal banananess.
    Rick Jason.
    "I'm still developing"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. I also use Canon FD system and the Mamiya RB67.

Jeff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin