Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,931   Posts: 1,585,445   Online: 1064

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Hello: from Northampton. England

My name is Jack & I am a retired structural & civil engineer. I became a member of this site today & automatically assumed that it would be necessary to perform some sort of introductuction immediately. It appears, from briefly reading one or two other introductions, that this is not, in fact, the case.
    I was forced into early retirement in 2004, following two severe stokes in August of that year. Until then I was very active, fit, and a keen veteran racing cyclist. It has taken until the middle of 2008 to become just moderately (day-to-day) active again. I can walk & talk again. I no longer have epileptic seizures, and though my left side is still very noticably affected, my right side has largely recovered. My speech has also improved to the stage where I can talk to people who know me [& know about the effects of the strokes] on the telephone. It is certain that I will never return to college lecturing.
    So, I have looked at things I can do, to replace the things I can no longer do, and taking up photography is one of those things. I bought my first camera, a digital, (sorry ) [a Sony a200 DSLR] three months ago; and whilst I enjoy the ease with which even I can take photo's, I want to learn the fundamentals of photography & not become part of the Auto Mode, Point & Shoot school of snap-taking. Consequently I have bought myself A Nikon F601 [US/N6006] 35mmSLR, with a variety of lenses, which has all of the autofocus modes, but also the ability to set Aperture & Shutter priority as well as Manual Mode. And to really get back to basics I have also purchased a Nikon FM2n, which is, as I'm sure you know, entirely manual.
    So it's very much a learning ground for me at the moment, & a professional photographer here in England, suggested I look at this site, being dedicated as it is to non-digital photography.
    So I am here to learn. I'll gladly contribute, as I'm able to. But essentially I'll be asking the questions, rather than answering them.
    I've learned a lot already, at least from an academic/theoretical point of view, but I have much to learn in terms of practical application.

Regards,
    Jack

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jack:

Welcome from the south-west coast of British Columbia, Canada.

Hope you enjoy your time here.

Some times, a well crafted question is the best contribution of all.

Matt

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hello from a fellow midlander, what is your preference Colour or black & white?

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi from about 12/14 miles to the East. You're probably my nearest neighbour on APUG. Very sorry to hear about your medical misfortunes. Life is so arbitrary, brutal and unfair. I think that analogue photography will appeal to the same talents that you had which led to your choice of profession and you will realise your potential in this new but maybe not unrelated field.

My best wishes

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jack - welcome to APUG from western New England, just a few miles south of Northampton, Massachusetts.
    We are glad to have you amongst us. Ask away and make sure to have some fun.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Jack - great to see you on APUG.

I know you will find it a great site here!

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG Jack, you are sure to find any advice you need here!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcom from Lancashire. I lived in Northampton (Camp Hill) from 83 to 86. I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. Enjoy the site, it's one of the best on the web.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from down south.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG! I hope you enjoy photography.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin