Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,760   Posts: 1,516,078   Online: 911

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Shooter
    35mm

Hello!

I'm Tom; new to photography (got serious last summer), really new to film photography; a couple weeks ago my sister gave me our mom's AE-1P kit that she'd inherited over 20 years ago:

I shot a roll of film through it, whereupon I learned that manual focus is a cruel mistress.... no embarrassments to be shared, but you could probably find one through the photobucket link if you cared!

I sent the camera off to Canon for resealing and shutter bearing repair; it will be back in a couple weeks, supposedly good for another 20 years.

I know how to use the search function and Google, so I'll try to stay away from the standard questions as best I can, and I like to rely on the face-to-face interactions at my camera store, Dan's Camera City in Allentown PA, for information as well. But, I'm sure I'll ask enough stupid questions over the coming months to justify my existence, and I'll post pictures for ridicule (or maybe even oohing and aahing) when I get something worthwhile.

So, Hello!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, from the Washington DC area.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from northern Indiana.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    howdy from down south in NC! im pretty new here too...not to film photography but here at APUG. I have searched for a film only website for a long time and am happy as h*ll to find a home here!
    This place is like finding a stop bath oasis in a pixel desert!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from a ways south of you. I shall bookmark Dan's, it's a bit of a haul, but not out of the question. It is good to keep tabs on what's left as such places have been thinning out.

DaveT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Tom - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts. Good to have you amongst us film-types.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi Tom - welcome. You've found a photographic home here pal. Pull up a chair!
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome from Montana. I'm pretty new to film camera's also. Lots of fun and lots of great info on this site. You'll like it here!

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the warm welcome!

Dave, I drive an hour from the north to patronize Dan's; it's a special place, with the emphasis on the art, and the equipment follows.

Of course I shoot digital. But I can't help thinking that shooting film will make me a better photographer, and will result in better images. No slam meant on any process. I'm talking about ME, not about all photographers or about photography in general. I don't need to recount the reasons; everyone here shoots film, you all know what I'm starting to think. Plus, I'm one of those people who takes the most pleasure in learning the process.

And, manual focus, that is one cruel mistress. And I think I'm going to need a light meter; I was shooting with the digital to get the a & t, and matching ISOs, but the film shots were about 2/3 stop over. But the shutter might have been a little slow due to the bearing wearing out, so, who knows. But I'm less than a year into photography (I'm at the edge of being a old guy), and have only shot one roll of film with purpose, so there's a lot of fun schooling ahead.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from western PA. We don't have any good photography stores left out here, but I think I shopped at Dan's when I went to Moravian College in Bethlehem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin