Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,750   Posts: 1,515,759   Online: 1069

Thread: 35 years

Shooter
    35mm

35 years

Hi,

I live in Maine and 35 years ago I shot black and white and developed and printed in my parents upstairs bathroom. I am probably the only one who knows why there is a stain on the floor where I spilled the developer. For many years after that I shot Kodachrome 25 on vacations. I now shoot digital on vacations.

Recently I felt sorry for my idle camera and had a desire to shoot some black and white again. It seems PanX is no longer available, so I got a few rolls of FP4. I dug my enlarger out of the basement. It is one of those Russian in a briefcase units. It took a bit to clean up as the foam lining had turned to crispy dust. I also found some 35 year old dektol and fixer and some Agfa Brovira.

Somewhere in the posts I followed a link to KEH. I now have a Waltax 645 folder in the mail in my direction. Not much spent, but I checked my enlarger and it doesn't come close to covering anything larger than 35mm.

This seems like a great forum. I have already read many posts with some great info.

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hey Ron, Welcome back. I always wanted one of those Russian suitcase enlargers but never got around to aquiring one. What kind of results did it give you, way back when? If you test the Brovira and find it to be o.k. I bet you could auction it to APUG luddites for recompense beyond your wildest dreams of avarice.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome back Ron. When it comes to film photography - you can run but you can't hide!!!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from Richmond, Va. Welcome back from all these year!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you sell the digital, you can use the dough to get a medium format enlarger. Voila.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from northern Indiana.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    If you sell the digital, you can use the dough to get a medium format enlarger. Voila.
    I like your thinking

Welcome to APUG and welcome back to film! Please pick up some Kodachrome again! It is truly great film!
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    35mm

Thanks

Thanks to all for the welcome. I think the little enlarger does ok. I do remember some newton rings that I did battle with. And also some shadows caused by the bulb filament when it was partly in focus, so I started using ground glass in the filter tray.

See if I can post a link...this is a copy ( I don't have a scanner ) of a print I made years ago. I never did anything with it as the developer was exhausted when I made the print. The blacks are a little brown for the Brovira paper.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ron - hello and welcome to APUG from a little south and west of you in western Massachusetts. I hope to meet you at one of the New England APUG gatherings.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the group, Ron.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin