Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,370   Online: 730

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from arkansas

Hello everyone. I'm James and I live in Central Arkansas. I am...not an experienced photographer, and this frustrates me a great deal. So any pointers about subject matter, composition, etc would be great. I am also of the philosophy that sometimes the wrong exposure makes for a better picture...thats just me. anyhow, howdy and hope to talk to some of you soon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, James, from near Washington, DC. Strive to master the basic techniques so you can do them without thinking. Stick to one film and one developer for a good long time. Don't confuse sloppy technique for "artistry" or "creativity." Learn all the rules before you decide which are the ones you can afford to break. Begin by photographing things you like. Be sure to have fun.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My daughter, in her toddler years, (she's a mature 7.5 years old now) taught me the most interesting path between two points is never a straight line. Dive in the deep end, and have fun!

Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi James from south central Missouri.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome.

The best pointer IMO is to think of the final print before you click that shutter. Examine the viewfinder very carefully whenever you have the time, and imagine the print that will be made from the image you see there. Next, make prints the way you want to make them; not the way you have been told to make them. If you aren't doing this, then why on Earth are you photographing anyhow? Third: technique can be learned by anyone if they put in the time and effort. If you are having problems, you will get it eventually if you put in the effort. Don't obsess over it to the point that you forget why you are taking pictures in the first place.

Those are three things that I am glad were hammered into my head early on in my photographic pursuits.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Welcome from SW Missouri.
    "while a hundred civilizations have prospered (sometimes for centuries) without computers or windmills or even the wheel, none have survived even a few generations without art." David Bayles & Ted Orland Art & Fear

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello James, welcome to APUG. Just take your time and everything will come to ya.

Jeff

Shooter
    35mm
    thanks everyone for the replies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome, James. Just choose a topic, ask a pointed question and get a dozen pointed answers. Nothing to it.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    35mm
    one thing I forgot to ask is whether any photography books can be helpful with technique, and/or fundamentals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin