Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,689   Posts: 1,482,368   Online: 772

Thread: Hello everyone!

Shooter
    35mm

Hello everyone!

Hello everyone, I'm Alex, and three days ago I bought my first SLR from a guy I found on kijiji. It's a Ricoh KR-5, and it's been a lot of fun the past few days; I've taken two rolls of ISO 200 print film with some long exposure night shots and some regular daytime shots, just to begin to get used to the different variables like shutter speed and aperture, and so far it's been a lot of fun! I've only got the one standard 50mm lens so far, but I've been eyeing a used 80-200mm zoom in a local camera store. Right now I'm working my way through a roll of slide film. I've got a projector and I'm really excited to see how things turn out!

I've had a couple of "photography experiences" I guess you would call them already...
    Yesterday after taking some photos in an empty public park of a bench and some garbage, a police cruiser pulled up to me and my bicycle and explained that they were investigating a compliant about taking pictures in someone's backyard. I was kinda shocked, but explained that I had only been in the park, and after checking my ID, they left me alone and drove off.

Then this afternoon, after a long disappointing walk through a wooded area looking for wildlife, I came across a Canada goose eating grass in another public park area-not even close to the woods! I was so happy to have finally found a worthy subject, so I carefully started to crouch low and slowly work my way closer and closer to the goose. (Not that I wasn't completely obvious to the goose, there were hardly any trees or tall grass around) I managed to take a few shots, and the goose didn't seem to hardly notice me, so I was about to try and get even closer, when suddenly a kid came running up to scare the goose away! It was clear that this kid (maybe 10 or 12) had done this because I was trying to take photos of the bird. I didn't say anything to the kid or her friends -there would have been no point; they wern't about to justify their actions to me with some logical argument- but it left me feeling so angry... oh well, I did end up getting some pretty close up shots of a pair of mallards later on.

Are these sort of experiences common when you're trying to take pictures?
    haha.. other than what I've mentioned here, I've been having a fun time with photography.

Anyway, hello everyone, and I look forward to learning more about photography.

Alex
    Last edited by WorldFamousBigB; 05-07-2009 at 09:05 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling of 'not' as 'now'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Alex. You are amongst friends here.
    Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Alex and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Alex, I geuss all of us had some weird and funny experiences! You ought to try some B&W film.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the forum, Alex. And welcome to the club, too.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from northern Indiana in the USA. You have me curious: what is kijiji?
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello Alex and welcome from Bruxelles, Belgium.
    I like your description of that afternoon at the park. Damn kids. But you could have taken a picture of the kids chasing away the bird.
    I still remember my first steps in photography (I'm afraid it's already 35 years ago).
    BTW, keep that 50mm lens, it's incredible how useful such standard lenses are. But the telelens you saw in a store could be very nice to catch another goose...
    Serge

Shooter
    35mm
    Wow, I would have seriously yelled at the kid. Welcome to APUG, Alex [From South Florida].

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, Alex, from near Washington, DC.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin