Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,538   Posts: 1,572,756   Online: 836

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello World

Shooter
    35mm

Hello World

Hey all.

I'm "new" to the 35mm film camera world, in a sense that I actually just recently acquired my very own 35mm camera through a friend of mine, whereas before I've always took pictures with my dad and my grandpa's old Nikons.

My dad owns a Nikon FM2, and has owned it since when it first came out, so one owner camera that he has taken very good care of. That camera is about to be inherited to me as he is looking to move on to digital cameras.

His loss, my gain.

My grandpa also has an older Nikon, although I have no idea what it is (I just recently started looking up all the different older Nikon cameras). I plan on asking him if I could have it as well, since one of my uncles bought him a digital camera for his birthday last year, and he has been quite fascinated with digital pics since. Guess the digital stuff really wows a 91 yr old lol

Onto my own gear...

Again, I had recently just gotten a hold of a Nikon Nikkormat FT2 in relatively good shape. Mechanically it is in good working order, and it came with a 50mm F2 primary lens, which unfortunately has a dent in the barrel, right on the lip, so I cannot use any kind of filter on that lens.

Since I've come into possession of the FT2, I've gotten an eye piece for it, and an older Nikon strap that matched the era of the FT2 (I like to keep things close to their own era, don't really like mixing new stuff with the old).

Today I bought a couple of lenses off of ebay, a Nikon 24mm F2.8 and a Nikon 50mm F1.4, both in good condition. If money permits, I'm going to get a Nikkormat leather case to house the camera itself.

Welp, sorry for the novel, but that is my story so far.

I can't wait to get more time with these older cameras, as I believe these cameras are the true test of a photographer's skills and taste as a true photographer... none of that fancy automated crap!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG! You'll likely find the answer here to just about any film question you could ask. Look around and enjoy the place!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the forum from a fellow Nikoner. Well, mine is an N65 (aforementioned automated crap). My pill of choice nowadays is my Minolta XG-1. Anyways, welcome.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome from Richmond, Va! I always enjoy old cameras. They have a special aura about them.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Welcome!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks guys!

Chris W - hahaha no worries man! I was just saying that, a lot of people nowadays call themselves "photographers", when in fact they are nothing but a bunch of people with no skill, that buy a DSLR just so they can leave them on the automatic setting, and letting the camera take care of the rest of the work. Basically using a DSLR, like a D90, as an expensive point-and-shoot camera.

Those are the people I despise, and the reason why I went with an older, full manual camera, because if the picture doesn't come out, there are only 3 reasons for that: operator error (me), film issues (bad film), or processing issues (issues with chemicals or post processing like botched enlarging).

Plus, when you get a really good picture, from just the first try, on an older full manual camera, at least for me, I get a sense of satisfaction and ego boost, over a single good picture that a DSLR person can take, since they can take literally 800 pictures just to find a good one (again, from the aforementioned lack of skills, but using the camera to do their work for them).

Anyway, again, thanks for the warm welcome guys!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome!
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome from Thessaloniki of Greece!!!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Welcome to the insanity. Try to resist the urge to go hogwild with the NAS. I've owned too many Nikons over the years. I think I'm on my 90th right now. Only started going bonkers after 2004, when the film gear values really began tanking.

-J
    APUG: F2AS x2, F, FM2n, Nikomat FTn, FT2
    DPUG: D200
    Nikkors: 18-70/3.5-4.5G AF-S DX (f/D200), 20/3.5 UD, 24/2.8 AI, 50/2 AI, 50/2 K, 50/1.4 AI, 55/3.5 Micro PC, 55/2.8 Micro AIS, 85/1.8 K, 105/2.5 K, 135/3.5 QC

My FB - My flickr stream
    My SmugMug

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin