Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,755   Posts: 1,515,992   Online: 887

Shooter
    Medium Format

Introduction - Greetings from Detroit, Michigan!

Hello APUG,

I wanted to introduce myself, I am a photographer located just outside of Detroit, Michigan. My focus is on documentary and commercial photography but I have a soft spot for world portraits (Steve McCurry) and confrontation photography (James Nachtwey).

Being young (currently 22) I have shot digital for almost as long as I have shot film, but am feeling the urge to return to film. This is because after going with all the usual zooms (24-70, 70-200 f/2.8 IS, etc.) I found myself liking the images from even cheap primes! So my digital lineup has changed to 5D MKII, 50L, 85L II, etc. But enough about that...

Since I found love in images made with primes, I have also noticed that people react differently to film cameras in general, rangefinders especially. They appear as novelties and 'harmless' unlike a monster DSLR which can be quite daunting on the other end of the lens. I understand that the energy given out from the photographer effects people just as much (if not more), however a small camera is just another way to put people at ease, or to go unnoticed.

With that said I don't have the money for a proper Leica setup, and I'm not quite ready for the Mamiya 7 II, so I decided that the Contax G2 would be a nice reintroduction... Today was my lucky day!

eBay sent me a 10% off coupon, and Microsoft Cashback is at 8%, exactly at the same time that somebody listed a G2 kit with 28/45/90/flash/misc combo for Buy It Now of $895!!!

Oh, I also paid with a credit card that gives 1% Cashback, so in total I got the kit for around $725!

But let me backup a bit.... It all started with the idea that small camera = better people photography, so I thought that I might find a rangefinder (Leica) at an antique store for a bargain... I quickly found out that I was not the only person with that idea :P But I also found a Voigtlander Vito II with a Pronter-S shutter for $19.95, and I just couldn't pass it up. It is in excellent shape other then the shutter doesn't work below 1/10th but since I wouldn't be shooting below that I can accept that flaw, I have no idea how far the speeds might be off in the rest of it's range. But that doesn't matter, it has allowed me to step back and rethink about photography and what it means to me, I have regained creative freedom.

So there you have it, a little insight about myself. I know that I will learn a lot from this forum, and I hope that I can even share some insight of my own.

Cheers,
    Nick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from Los Angeles. Detroit is one of my favorite places; probably second only to my home town of L.A., where my family has lived in the same basic part of town for six generations now. I became acquainted with the place through my ex girlfriend, who was born and raised in Dearborn, near the cemetery and the Rouge. I may finish up my degree at Wayne State, actually. Keep shooting. I'll be back soon to really delve into Michigan Central, since they have supposedly decided to tear it down now. Got the ruins of Tiger Stadium in IR, and the fireworks on the river last time I was there. SO sad I wasn't able to see the Cup...grrrrrrr. Everyone I meet in Detroit is a nice person, and I love its beauty and its history...not to mention how easy it is to navigate, and how little traffic there is.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Nick, I'm glad you found APUG. Hope you enjoy being here!

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi, Nick. Welcome to APUG. As I was reading your intro I began to wonder myself about the relationship between complex appearance of a camera and the willingness of a subject to be photographed. Then I read further and saw that that was indeed where you were going with that one. Makes sense. Lower intimidation factor perhaps.

Go Buckeyes!
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, Nick.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome from Central N.J.

Love the natch!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many thanks for the warm replies, I know I'll find myself nice and comfy around here!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin