Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from Riverside, Ca

Hello APUG,

My name is Rob and that much hasn't changed over the years. What did change is my shooting. I left behind the slow approach I took with a roll of Tri-x and a spotmeter working landscapes and made the change to digital where I shot subjects that really didn't hold my interest, only the technique mattered. I learned a lot but bored myself to tears and almost killed my love of photography.

However I miss my favorite subject matter, I miss the way black and white film captures and holds textures and tones. I hate color getting in the way of lines and form. Hmm... I better end that thought, it's just an intro after all, not a b&w love fest.

To keep myself happy I'm going back to shooting b&w film. The former chem lab tech part of me also won't let me proceed without doing the development at home. I have enough Xtol and Tri-x to keep me busy for awhile.

A new-to-me Beseler 23C II is also in the works and I should be making the bathroom a cramped place in short order. Although printing is a whole new world to me and I'm very, very thankful for a wonderful place like APUG.

I guess I should round out the intro with some format info. I primarily live in 35mm land, although I have some wonderful vintage manual focus glass. Those go on an N65, although not the classiest, it's a box and it's in manual full time so it serves my purpose well.

6x6 should become available to me soon after I repair a few minor pinholes in the bellows of an Agfa Isollete I recently obtained.

4x5 or some other large format is what I would really like to try considering how slowly I like to think through an exposure before making it. It just hasn't become an economic reality yet. Although I may have to make that push very soon, I have images in my head that need to be made and I think they can best be realized in large format.

Sorry in advance if my intro is a bit long winded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob,
    Welcome from Stanwood, Washington.
    Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Rob, welcome from another Riversider...
    I have several 4x5's and a stand alone darkroom if you wish to check them out.
    Matt's Photo Site
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover". Auguste Rodin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Rob, welcome to APUG! I use digital some, but I like using film better.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rod,sounds like you are set up for B&W pretty good,you will like it hear.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rob - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Rob! Welcome to APUG from St. Louis.
    Diane

Halak 41

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Rob, welcome to APUG. From SE WI.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rob, welcome. I spent a lot of my childhood in Riverside, as my grandparents had a huge Victorian house on University Ave. Someday I hope to be able to visit it and see if the inside has changed much. I have very fond memories.

- CJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you to everyone for the very warm welcome. I have a feeling I'll be spending a fair amount of time in this little nook of the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze-on View Post
    Hey Rob, welcome from another Riversider...

I have several 4x5's and a stand alone darkroom if you wish to check them out.
    Matt,

It's wonderful to see someone else so local. Thank you for the very generous offer, I may have to take you up on it in the future.

On another note, I looked through your site and I believe I have run across it in the past. Very nice work.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheryl Jacobs View Post
    Rob, welcome. I spent a lot of my childhood in Riverside, as my grandparents had a huge Victorian house on University Ave. Someday I hope to be able to visit it and see if the inside has changed much. I have very fond memories.

- CJ
    Cheryl,

Some people here still go to great lengths to preserve these homes and the city seems to have chipped in a bit to the effort also. I hope you're able to make it back someday and aren't found too disappointed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin