Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,542   Posts: 1,544,394   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello from New York

Hello APUG!

I have been following this site for a little while as I begin my new pastime of film photography and I need a lot of your help.

About me:
    Level of useage: Hobbyist 1-3rolls per month
    Format: 35mm B&W with aspirations for 35mm IR
    Education: 1 year high school instruction. I learned basic technique but the details were rarely covered.
    Subjects: Most of my previous photography was landscape. Having recently moved to NYC I would like to learn cityscape/ architecture and people.
    Equipment: I took my father's camera bag and don't know how to fully utilize half of the accessories yet.

In my bag:
    Cannon EF 35mm body (bought in ~1975)
    Cannon FD 50mm f1.4
    Cannon FD 28mm f2.8
    Cannon FD 200mm f1.4
    Vivitar Zoom Thyristor 3500 Flash
    Vivitar Automatic Tele Converter 2X-4
    Kalt Color Burst Filter
    Vivitar Soft Focus Filter
    Sunpak (R2)Red-25 Filter
    Tiffen Close Up Lens Set +1 +2 +4 Filters
    Tiffen Haze 1 Filter
    Sicor UV Filter

Specific questions:
    Will the Red-25 filter be sufficient for beginning IR, or do I need something darker?
    Where in Westchester County, NYC or Northern NJ can I rent darkroom time at a reasonable price? My apartment is not going to work for making a home room.

Thank you all for any comments on my equipment or any advice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome redlineSPI,don,t use IR so can,t help you there but there are many that do, so I think some one will help you with that.Try looking in the Forums there is alot of info there.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi and welcome from Melbourne, Australia. A red 25 filter will be a good start for IR.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG. A red 25 filter is good for some IR, but sometimes you might a darker one.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome, from near Washington, DC
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG from marginally further downstate. I'm thinking to do some IR in the spring too. Some useful threads here that'll at least give you food for thought. Welcome again and enjoy!

Bob H
    "Why is there always a better way?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi, and welcome from the prairies!
    "While you're out there smashing the state, don't forget to keep a smile on your lips and a song in your heart!"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BBBold: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.297 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

Welcome to the forum.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome from London.

About your IR filter, you will find that most IR negative films (and there are not so many left nowadays) recommend the type of red filter which is suitable for their film.
    If you search online Maco, Rollei or Ilford's website, all make IR film and they would have published red filter recommendations.
    I don't shoot IR myself so I cannot help further.

Also, you can use the APUG search or just post a new thread in the BW section (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum48/) and ask the question, all questions do get answered in a comprehensive manner.

I went to NYC last year, I loved it, though I thought that it was unsettling... I want to return to go to the Abyssinian church.

Best

Delphine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello from England,I'm also a Canon EF owner, It's a great classic camera, but you must know that after thirty four years, anyway welcome aboard.
    Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin