Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,969   Posts: 1,558,527   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hello, I'm new here.

Hello,

My name is Jared; I am not sure if this is the right place to post this, but could not find a introductions forum on this site.

I became interested in photography back in the late 80's when my older brother bought a copy of Galen Rowell's "Mountain Light." We started going out and shooting landscapes around Las Vegas with our dad's Minolta X-370 (I think that is what it was) on Kodachrome 64 slide film. A little later my mom bought me a Nikon N5005 for use in my highschool photography classes. I chose Nikon because that is what Galen used for his outstanding work. At the beginning of the 90's, Fuji launched their awesome Velvia (RVP) slide film, and I switched to that for the most part; only buying Kodachrome when I could not get Velvia. To this day it is still the best film ever made IMO. Over the next decade until 2004 I shot a variety of Nikon film SLR's including an N90, F3HP, and F5 (my favorite).

In 2004 I became smitten with the idea of owning a pro-level Nikon DSLR. So I sold every superfluous piece of Nikon gear I had including my beloved F5 to procure a Nikon D2H. Dang those things are expensive!! I even tossed a pro-pack of original Velvia in the trash can thinking I would never use it again. So, fast forward to 2009. After five years of shooting a variety of both Nikon and Canon DSLR's I have rediscovered my love of shooting Fujichrome Velvia with the purchase of a EX+ condition F5 from KEH. I took the camera to Yellowstone for 10 days this August and used up a few rolls of the new Velvia 50. At first the lack of being able to chimp was a little disconcerting, but after a few frames on the shore of Jenny Lake I was back into my old routine. Working with a gray card and the zone system, I was able to capture the best images I have ever taken with that 11 year old F5. I am again in love with shooting film! Since I now own a small collection of Canon L glass, I decided to pick up a Canon film SLR. I now also own a KEH EX condition EOS-1V. I have not used it yet, but am looking forward to it.

My only worry, how long will I be able to buy Velvia before Fuji decides it is not economically viable and I am forced to start shooting DSLR's again?

Jared

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jared,
    Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Jared, to APUG. As to the availability of Velvia in the future...who knows? But I'm guessing it will be one of the last colour films to go as it is so popular with landscape photographers.
    Rachelle

My favorite thing is to go where I've never been. D. Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Jared and welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Images
    welcome.

Follow my plan, which I derived from ordering inventory for my shop. If I need a part, I order three. That way I have two in stock. With film, I order what I need and tack one more onto it. Bag the extra and put in the freezer. Unlike the shop, where I use my inventory, I bank the film in the freezer. When I order more film, I will tack one more. This should build my supply of the films I like and if it is discontinued I have film. Now I hope they don't discontinue film developing services. I don't know how to process E-6.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad you came back!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, Jared.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Great story, Jared. I still have the Minoltas that I grew up on. Welcome back into the fold and welcome to APUG.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jared - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome from near Washington, DC.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin