Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,713   Online: 803

jss
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

left coast gen-x'er

hey fellow analoguers,

i'm a 29yo silicon valley computer guy who loves photography as much as computers. i've been interested in both for as long as i can remember. i am only minimally into non-analogue photography, as i find working with film and prints in my home darkroom a great (and relaxing) contrast to work.

as my friends have all gone high tech, my photography has gotten lower tech. for me, the variety photography has to offer keeps me learning new things. i like collecting cameras, and amassing a large arsenal of tools i can pick from when i want to go out and shoot. of course, shooting is only half the fun when you can develop and print yourself at home.

i've been mostly lurker and slightly active on online communities. i joined a local camera club but feel extremely out of place as most of the members are retired and go on outings during weekdays with their digital cameras (can't relate, can't schedule, can't understand!).

so lately i've been thinking a lot, writing up and editing a rant i've never posted publically, going on drives with my new shen-hao 4x5, and playing with a new omega enlarger i got for free (because someone was going all digital). i feel like i'm too old to take a college photo class (i've never taken a class, i dont think this is the right direction), and too young to be in these camera clubs where the members are seasoned professionals and retired hobbyists.

anyways, i like going out on drives with some cameras packed up. i shoot whatever catches my eye. i tend towards outdoor still life, urban scenes, architecture, etc. i almost always shoot black & white. i shoot mostly medium format and lately, have been shooting nearly all 4x5.

not sure what else to add here. my homepage (which links to my blog) is listed in my profile.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the site, Jason, from another formerly-Californian gen-x'er.

Images
    Welcome Jason,

I'm right down the street from you in San Jose!

Brian
    hi!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another UNIX geek! Welcome to the group!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Not to worry, rants are what the Silicon Valley was made for.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well the East Bay still counts for part of the SF area. Don't ever think you are too old for a college course. I just recently stopped taking college photography courses. After 5 years of it, it was time to get the heck out of that place. I happen to have another 21 years on you. There were some in the classes that made me look like a kid. We also had high school students doing concurrent enrollment. You never stop learning.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Don't shy away from taking classes. Learn the technical aspects (developing, printing) of the craft in a classroom setting. That will get you the basic skills needed to improve your vision. That's important.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome to APUG from across the pond. I'm just finishing a 1 year course at my local adult ed. It is something I highly recommend (i am 32). By the way, i like your mates Suzuki, niiice
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would like to second the idea of taking some classes. We have people from 13 to 70 in class and at all skill levels.

Don't give up or give in ; just keep doing what makes you happy.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin