Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,717   Online: 799

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good to be here

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Good to be here

It is so nice to find a photography forum that contains actual photography and not a sorry hybrid of too much digital and too little film. As a member of photo.net I spend most of my time frustrated and annoyed. It seems the whole site is dedicated to and run by digital color imagers. I call the “photography” they undertake imaging because while they are creating images, these images fall far short of being actual photographs. By definition photography is writing with light on a light sensitive surface such as film. There is no definition that I can find that talks about computer chips converting light energy into numbers and then pixels. Though I guess I am preaching to the converted, or should I say, preaching to the uncorrupted. Digital has taken over much of our world and in many cases it is for the better, but digital has no place in the serious art photography. Art photography (I’ll use that term, pretentious as it may be, because I lack of a better one) is not about producing pretty and interesting pictures. Art photography says as much about the photographer as it does about the subject. It is a process and a craft that cannot be replaced. To call the Digital Darkroom a darkroom at all it pure marketing bullshit, it implies that there is a parallel to be drawn between the images that are manipulated on a computer screen and photographs that are created in an actually darkroom. Recently I say a post on photo.net where in one photographer remarked to another that Photoshop made him a god. How absolutely pathetic, Photoshop may allow those who aspire to make “cool” looking picture an easier way to so, but it kills the actual art that is inherent in the traditional photographic process.
    Sorry, I’ll step down off my soapbox now. Let me just say that it is good to be apart of this site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome! So how long have you been involved with photography? Where are you from? What do you like to shoot?

Jeanette

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome, great place with lots of really GREAT People.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    It is so nice to find a photography forum that contains actual photography and not a sorry hybrid of too much digital and too little film. As a member of photo.net I spend most of my time frustrated and annoyed. It seems the whole site is dedicated to and run by digital color imagers. I call the “photography” they undertake imaging because while they are creating images, these images fall far short of being actual photographs. By definition photography is writing with light on a light sensitive surface such as film. There is no definition that I can find that talks about computer chips converting light energy into numbers and then pixels. Though I guess I am preaching to the converted, or should I say, preaching to the uncorrupted. Digital has taken over much of our world and in many cases it is for the better, but digital has no place in the serious art photography. Art photography (I’ll use that term, pretentious as it may be, because I lack of a better one) is not about producing pretty and interesting pictures. Art photography says as much about the photographer as it does about the subject. It is a process and a craft that cannot be replaced. To call the Digital Darkroom a darkroom at all it pure marketing bullshit, it implies that there is a parallel to be drawn between the images that are manipulated on a computer screen and photographs that are created in an actually darkroom. Recently I say a post on photo.net where in one photographer remarked to another that Photoshop made him a god. How absolutely pathetic, Photoshop may allow those who aspire to make “cool” looking picture an easier way to so, but it kills the actual art that is inherent in the traditional photographic process.
    Sorry, I’ll step down off my soapbox now. Let me just say that it is good to be apart of this site.
    Dont worry Stephen, I was run out of photosick because I told the owner most of his members were PS experts, not photographers......Welcome, you will find this site a refreshing change.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have been involved with Photography for a sum total of about three years. I live in the Bay Area. If you mean what format do I like to shoot in I would say that 35mm is all I can afford. If you meant what subjects I like I would say abstractions, night, architecture and close up, but not necessarily macro.Well that is about it I guess. How about yourself.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Dont worry Stephen, I was run out of photosick because I told the owner most of his members were PS experts, not photographers......Welcome, you will find this site a refreshing change.

Sometimes I feel I would end up much the same if I told the people at photo.net what I felt about their "photography".

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome. I hope you find this forum of greater interest.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in the Bay Area.
    Which Bay area? If it is The San Francisco Bay, join a growing group by the Bay. My suggestion to calm down after a soap box introduction is to; sit back pull up a container of developer and agitate for a while. You never know what will turn out. (hopefully good light and pictures)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like yourself, I am pretty new to photography (around 4 years of *putzing*). I like landscapes - large & small; or anything that has a great blend of shadow & light. We just completed my first ever darkroom a few months ago & I am happy as a clam trying new things and seeing what develops!
    I've found that everyone here is willing to help when you are stumped & for the most part, we all have a fairly jovial attitude!
    Again, Welcome!
    Jeanette

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sometimes I feel I would end up much the same if I told the people at photo.net what I felt about their "photography".
    I dont know if things have changed in PN, but I remember I while back a lot of members were upset because of the ratings system and the apparent over use of PS. In the end it became a big stink.

One thing you will find here is that people upload their photos to share. Sean has done a great job setting up the galleries and you will find that the quality of the photography is IMO very high compared to other sites. Since most here do not manipulate the image and some, like me, are beguinners at scanning and could not manipulate the image even if we wanted to, I feel the photography uploaded is truly representative of the work.

I think is refreshing to know that the image you are seeing comes from a real paper print and has actually been printed to show and is not an electronic version that who knows if it could ever be printed and have the same impact.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin