Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,698   Online: 792

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graeme,
    Excellent shots!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greetings from up the road in Norfolk. I think you'll like it here.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for the advice Graeme. Those are some truly stunning photographs. I love the Australian landscape, it is so wonderfully photogenic. I visited Australia in the late eighties and my only regret is I only took a compact snapshot camera. The thinking being to save on luggage weight as at the time the only other camera I had was my Zorki, not a lightweight! What a fool I was! This I realised once I was walking around Uluru and the Olgas!

As for the lightning I think I'll hedge my bets and experiment with all the various methods suggested here. Thanks again for your tip!

And also hello Sparx and thanks for the welcome!

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Hi Andy,

Feel free to ignore my advice - it's worth what you paid for it.

When it comes time to analyse why your shots aren't working with long exposures and small apertures, think about how the exposure of lightning on the film is reliant solely on the aperture. The exposure is essentially instantaneous, so the exposure value on the film relies on the aperture and the film speed (a bit like flash photography). Trying to cheat the laws of physics is a mug's game, and you can't get bright lightning through a small aperture - no matter how long your shutter is open for.

Anyway, have fun burning film. It's the best way to learn. Stay safe ....

Cheers,
    Graeme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hmmm, perhaps there is a misunderstanding here. I meant I will try all the methods suggested in this thread including yours Graeme. I'm a suck it and see kind of person, so I'll try every method to find which I am happiest with! Having seen your results, that is probably the first I will try. When we finally get a good storm that is!

Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    My apologies Andy - it's a failing of mine to sometimes go in too hard when it's not warrented. I did that here. Sorry.

I was thinking last night about how better to get my point across (without being confrontational) and came up with the comparison between night shots of lightning and those from daylight hours. The lightning doesn't get brighter during the day compared to at night, so you need to use the same apertures as those you would choose at night. Thus if you want to get the base exposure correct (ie that for ambient light) you'll need to use a short exposure time.

In any case, do have fun trying out different methods. Lightning photography is anything but boring when you're out there making the images. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No worries Graeme! And thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Excellent site Fintan. Thanks for the link.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    hey, Andy - was last night stormy enough for you? I'm not sure if anyone was mad enough to have been out in that!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin