Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,327   Posts: 1,536,989   Online: 1202

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Leon, we only caught the edge of it here in Southend. We had a couple of lightning strikes, (one so close I thought my windows were going to come in!) but not enough for me to photograph, by the time I was walking out the door it was over!
    Hopefully it'll get worse today, although looking out the window at these clear blue skies I'm not so sure!
    It is one of the peculiarities of living in Southend. Because we are on the Estuary we have some kind of 'micro-climate' and always seem to escape the worst of the weather in summer. In winter it is reversed and we get snow when the rest of the county is dry!
    Still, fingers crossed eh?

And Fintan, thanks for the link, very informative!

Andy.
    Last edited by Andy K; 07-08-2004 at 05:38 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K
    Hopefully it'll get worse today, although looking out the window at these clear blue skies I'm not so sure!
    I love photography ... when else can you hear us Englanders saying such things about the weather???

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    When I'm staying with my friends in Scotland, we always say it is too nice to do any good photography. What we want is 'interesting' weather!

Ah, photography is so lovely...

Better watch yourself guys, when going out in lightning. Only a few days ago, my brother (a vet) had to go and pronounce a cow that got struck by lightning.Bit scary, that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a good thing I'm not a cow then, eh?

Seriously, I have a couple of vantage points planned, both of which have high structures which are more likely to take a strike than me!

Andy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    well Andy - your wish was granted ... we are all flooded out here in Ramsgate

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hope you're ok there Leon!

Will you be out with some b+w then? Cars making their way through floods, people being rescued by firemen in dinghys... aah photographic heaven!

Andy

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It's a good thing I'm not a cow then, eh?

Seriously, I have a couple of vantage points planned, both of which have high structures which are more likely to take a strike than me!

Andy.
    Andy,

Don't stand too close to those structures. When they get hit, the charge usually spreads out through the ground and can electrocute people standing nearby. There have been many instances where animals (and people) sheltering under trees have died en masse because the ground was charged when the tree was struck.

Stay at least 30 metres from them, but better still, pack up when the first drops of rain start to fall on you. Lightning prefers to strike where the column of rain is. Stay near your car (that's the safest place to be because it is a faraday cage) and get in if you smell ozone, your hair starts to rise or you hear humming objects around you. Don't fool yourself into thinking those objects will take the strike - if you are out in a storm, you're in danger.

Cheers,
    Graeme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Graeme, but we rarely get electrical storms on the scale you do!
    The two places I have in mind are a beachfront cafe, just around the corner from me (it has a covered walkway all round) and a ruined castle on a hilltop about 5 miles from me. The cafe would be safer but the castle would make for better shots, the downside of the castle is you have to park about 400 yards from it and it is completely open to the elements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Graeme, but we rarely get electrical storms on the scale you do!
    The two places I have in mind are a beachfront cafe, just around the corner from me (it has a covered walkway all round) and a ruined castle on a hilltop about 5 miles from me. The cafe would be safer but the castle would make for better shots, the downside of the castle is you have to park about 400 yards from it and it is completely open to the elements.
    Andy

Would that be hadleigh castle ?

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It would indeed be Hadleigh Castle Phil! You know it then? Great views across the Estuary and Kent!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin