Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,347   Online: 782

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Oh, Great! I just spelled your name wrong! Dang! Sorry Sherrie!

Flog me! Flog me!
    Jeanette
    Ribbet! Ribbet! Did I get that right?
    Oh you said FLOG! Let me get my wet noodles from the kitchen..
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wearing a resperator (that Darth Vader mask thingy) will NOT reduce the level of oxygen to a fetus. The trick to these is to breath at your normal level, try to avoid rapid/shallow breaths, don't over exert yourself and change your filters regularly. If you can smell/taste the chemical, your already too late in your filter change. Always remove and store the filters seperate from the mask in their own bag. Is it a full face or only half face (just covers the nose and mouth)? If your mixing powders and are worried about breathing the dust, you could potentially absorbe it through the eyes as well. If your not dealling with powder, the mask could be considered overkill. It will however (with the right filters of course) prevent 99.999% of ANY chemical that is airborn (dust, fumes). I wear these as a semi-regular part of my job. And yes they really suck when the humidity goes over 60% and temp. starts to climb. I agree with Ann when she says "stay away from toning" and no mixing powders.
    Unless you really want to be a Sith Lord and use the Force. Actually, that would be handy for mixing...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who responded with baby-safe darkroom advice for me. I do indeed have a ventilation system already in place and from the sounds of what you've all been telling me, using that plus the avoidance of any serious or powdered chemicals will do the trick. My husband has already made me promise to avoid cyanotyping in the presence of young (or unborn!) children.

I'm very much enjoying wandering around this site, there is so much info buried in here and I really like the concept of the galleries. I'll try to get around to posting some worthy images there soon.

-Sherrie

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sherrie, I wouldn't worry about cyanotype. Those chemicals are among the safest you can use in a darkroom - or out of one! In fact I would recommend cyanotype to anyone worried about darkroom toxicity.

Ammonium ferricitrate is used among other things as a dietary supplement, e.g. for pregnant women with low blood iron.

Potassium hexacyanoferrate (see? It looks safer under the correct name!) is a very stron binding agent for all kinds of metal ions, and is used to soak up harmful stuff after nuclear accidents and toxic spills.

Avoid any kind of sulfur toner, any other toner in combination with acids, and you should be safe.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Sherrie,

Another Canuck and Torontonian (my hometown) - two good qualities to have!

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hi Sherrie,

Welcome! I'm relatively new too, but just thought I'd say hello as I'm also from Toronto.

I am actually 8 months pregnant and have been developing B&W film throughout the last 3 months of my pregnancy (I was too tired to do ANYTHING the first few months, let alone develop film). From what I have learned, developing B&W film is relatively safe, and as others have already mentioned, take the usual precautions (tongs, gloves, etc.). However, the jury is kinda out on printing, which I have been dying to try. I've gotten mixed opinions on whether it is safe to print or not, so I have not yet printed my own negs. I cannot wait to pop this baby so that I can finally set up my darkroom - I'm starting from scratch as I don't even have an enlarger yet.

I think the darkroom setup will be my project during my mat leave!
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann
    I have had several students with the same issues. One of the last was a nurse and she checked with her Dr. who was also a photographer. These are his directions for her. Be sure you wear Nitrile gloves and other than that he did not forsee a problem....
    ... Neither would i let them take a color printing class because of the nature of the chemcials.
    I have all the Safety information sheets dealing with RA-4 and R3/3000 chemistry, and there is nothing that would lead me to believe that they are any more dangerous that black and white chemistry ... as a matter of fact, they appear to me to be safer.

That applies to modern chemistry ... I would be more cautious about the older EP-2 (? - was that the name of the process ..?) and especially with P3/30 Ilford/Cibachrome chemicals. THOSE are not to be trifled with.

Otherwise - good advice. Check with your M.D. - the Safety information sheets might be helpful.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    As an OB/GYN I have never heard of problems with photochemicals, including those used in printing. I will admit to not having done any research on the subject, but I have been in the profession for almost 40 years.
    John Harvey
    Colorado Springs, CO
    harveyje@usa.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherrie Kuehlein
    My husband and I are trying for our second child
    I've always been amused by this terminology... sounds like a chore! lol! (my wife and I took a long time to conceive our children.. THERE IS A GOD!

So, back on topic, Welcome!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin