Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,541   Posts: 1,544,385   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Hello From New Zealand

Hello to everyone at APUG.

It great to find a site dedicated to film. My interest in photography is mainly colour slide film (Ocassionally some B&W). I like to shoot Landscape, Nature and Still Life. Up until recently I have used manual focus 35mm gear but have now aquired a 4X5 large format which I use for landscapes. The quality of 4x5 is simply stunning, I find my self using 35mm a lot less now though I still find it has a use (particularly for macro close ups).

I do not own a digital camera mainly because I have not been impressed with the image quality obtained from these devices and I think film is a safer storage device. I also don't like sitting at a computer for hours fiddling with images in photoshop and maintaining a relentless regime of image management which you need to have if you own a digital.
    For printing however I can see the benefits of going digital and for colour work I think digital prints have proberly surpassed the quality of conventional analog printing methods (Cibachomes still look great). It think its great that photographers can utilise the strengths of both technologies today to create beautiful prints.

I look forward to contributing to this forum.

Cheers

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    welcome.

If you think your 35mm is good for macro work wait until you do it w/ your 4x5.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mrcallow
    If you think your 35mm is good for macro work wait until you do it w/ your 4x5
    That's something I'm planning on trying out this weekend. I have old light meter that is designed to take readings off the ground glass, I'm going to take it out, calibrate it, and see what I can come up with.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome Robert,

New Zealand is one of my favorite countries; I have a close friend living near Alexandra. Spent a couple of weeks there a few years ago, planning on an extended trip there next year.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

I haven't tried close ups with large format yet but I thought that as lens resolution falls off at high magnifications and large format lenses have much lower resolution than 35mm that large format wouldn't be well suited to close ups. Am I wrong with this reasoning?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome Robert from another recent member, sure your have a wonderful time here. Also looking forward to some of those stunning views you have over there. First I've every heard of macro's with 4x5 so will look forward to those as well.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Robert. We look forward to your pics.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Jaques

I haven't tried close ups with large format yet but I thought that as lens resolution falls off at high magnifications and large format lenses have much lower resolution than 35mm that large format wouldn't be well suited to close ups. Am I wrong with this reasoning?
    Although some lenses are designed for macro work and others to be used at infinity. By design a lf camera is well suited to macro work. If an lf lens is not perfectly suitable for macro work the neg size more than makes up for it. I have done some very pleasing macro work with a nikkor 75mm f/4,5 sw. The image posted was of a bud that might have been the size of my thumb nail. The film was e100sw 120 cross processed and shot using a 6x9 roll film back on a sinar.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    [QUOTE=mrcallow] By design a lf camera is well suited to macro work.

I am wondering if this is a thread that could be opened up, albeit in another section perhaps. I tend to get closer rather than take landscape shots and have an old 1/2 plate camera which is near enough 7x5". I would like to continue with my type of subject matter, which is photographing white flowers in b&w which I have done up to now using 35mm macro also Mamiya RB, which is suited to close work. Any advice on technique such as exposure adjustments and metering would be appreciated. Are we still looking at zone placements here ?
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Nice Photo I like the bold colour.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin