Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,772   Posts: 1,516,538   Online: 859

Shooter
    35mm

From Fargo and have a woodchipper

Hey Ya'll,

I'm glad I found this on-line community. Glad to be with some folks who enjoy traditional photography. I am primarily a luddite like the rest of you, but let me tell you a little about myself and my love affair with traditional photography.

OK, yes, I am from North Dakota (pause . . . please make your joke here). Yes, it is freezing up there in the winters, and, no, I did not have to ride in a dog sled to get to school and we do not have permafrost. I do have a woodchipper, however, but have never had to use it on my deceased thug-buddy.

I attended Wheaton College (a great Christian Liberal Arts school 25 miles west of Chicago), picking up a BA in Anthropology, graduating in '03. I am 23, and recently married (my wife is a hot babe if I do say so). I'm currently living in the Wheaton area, working full time and pursuing my hobbies in my downtime. I am seriously thinking about doing grad work in the history of photography, maybe picking up a PHD and teaching about this great technology and its affect on the world. We'll see . . .

I have taken pictures since I was a boy, started doing darkroom work in high school at my dad's workplace, and won some local photography contest. Upon H.S. graduation, I used my gift money to buy a Canon EOS Elan-II; I have been taking pictures with it ever since. I have also gotten into old Kodak Cameras; collecting them and using them -- especially enjoying the simple dualflex box cameras from the 50's. Besides collecting old cameras, I LOVE collecting old negatives that I find at garage sales, ebay, etc, and printing these windows from the past in the darkroom. I have always used other people/organization's darkrooms, but very recently (last weekend) bought a DII enlarger and darkroom equipment at a local rummage sale. This exciting venture led me to do research on the web, where I found this great community. So here I am, and here to stay. Look forward to it.

Huram

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Huram,
    Welcome to APUG. Some of are grumpy ol' luddites, but we still welcome you young'uns!
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Welcome,
    This is a great site and full of friendly people with tons of knowledge.

I live very near you(about 20 miles, my brother actually lives in wheaton). If you feel like getting out with the 4x5 sometime let me know. I'd be glad to join you.

Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi. I just watched that movie (again) last weekend. I'm over here in Minnesota. I guess that sort of makes us neighbors.

Hey. I plan to start college this year, going to major in Anthropology.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... and I'm in Wisconsin!! So look at us! The midwest contingent! haha
    Welcome Huram!!

Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Images
    Good Afternoon, Huram,

It's good to see another Illinois member, even if you are an immigrant. Sorry you're up there in Cub territory instead of being down here where the Cardinals rule. Whoops--I almost forgot that the Cardinals rule the entire league these days.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aloha, from the great state of Hawaii. Where the sun shines almost everyday, the water is clear and warm.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    Aloha, from the great state of Hawaii. Where the sun shines almost everyday, the water is clear and warm.
    And velkommen from Norway, where the sun shines almost every year, and the water is clear and cold
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I even have been to Fargo. My dad had a fishing cabin on Potatoe Lake just east of you in Park Rapids MN. We would go up via Sauk Center and the middle of MN, then come home via Fargo and Souix City. We lived just north of Omaha.

You betcha you found a good place, and welcome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Greetings from GB, where we don't know what this sun thing is you all keep going on about. My grandad once regailed me with stories of this fiery ball thing that used to move across the sky. Then again my grandad was irish and drank large quantities of the black stuff so you took everything he said with a large pinch of salt.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin