Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,786   Online: 947

Shooter
    Multi Format

Greetings from the Bayou State

Actually, I'm from the Yankee part of Louisiana--the northwest. There's more cowboys and rednecks around here than there are alligators.

I've lurked awhile and enjoyed what I've read so I joined in on a couple of discussions. I may as well formally introduce myself.

I've been serious about photography for a little over 30 years. A friend of mine borrowed a Pentax Spotmatic and let me use it one afternoon and I immediately took a fever that has never completely subsided. There have been periods of remission but there has never been any doubt this is a terminal illness. Within a few months, I had bought a couple of used Nikons and I had set up a darkroom in my apartment bathroom. Four or five years later, I was working for a daily newspaper as a general assignment photographer. After a little over 15 years of this, I had pretty much burned out. I quit my photography job, took a job as a civil servant and had my longest period of remission of the photography disease.

But the fever came back a few years ago, traumas began to the credit card, food was moved from the freezer to make room for film and the rear bathroom of our home became a part time darkroom. My wife was thrilled. Our dog was victimized. The world was changing.

After tinkering with virtuality and digiography, I settled back into the type of photography I enjoyed 30 years ago. I love shooting and printing black and white pictures. Don't look for any posted pictures by me. I really dislike the process involved and don't have any idea how to go about it.

Subjectwise, I like just about everything. I sometimes take a documentary approach to places/people and try to make pictures as un-touristy and non-scenic as possible. I also love to find and photograph details as opposed to grand landscapes. But I'm fickle and I reserve the right to change my emphasis at any time.

I shoot with Leica rangefinders and Canon EOS SLRs in 35mm and a Mamiya C330 TLR and a Pentax 645 SLR in medium format. Favorite photographers are so numerous it's scary. Edward Weston, Paul Strand, Henri Cartier-Bresson, Robert Frank, Emmet Gowin, Garry Winogrand, Bill Brandt, Sally Mann, William Eggleston, Ralph Gibson, Jeanloup Sieff, Eliot Porter, Robert Adams, Phillip Hyde, Imogene Cunningham--they all come readily to mind but I'm forgetting dozens of others. I'm pretty willing to have an open mind to any photographer's work no matter what they might be presenting.

That's about it. I hope to continue to absorb the great information presented here and maybe offer some small contributions from time-to-time.

Images
    Good Afternoon, Lee,

Sounds as if you'll fit right in on this forum.

Konical

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Aloha from the great state of Hawaii. Welcome to the forum.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey Lee!

Welcome! It sounds like you've been full circle! I look forward to benefiting from your wealth of knowledge!

Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    After tinkering with virtuality and digiography, I settled back into the type of photography I enjoyed 30 years ago. I love shooting and printing black and white pictures. Don't look for any posted pictures by me. I really dislike the process involved and don't have any idea how to go about it.

Welcome, Lee. As to posting, even though digiinfo is not held in high regard here, I'm sure you can get lots of assistance if you want it from many who are quite good at scanning etc. With your experience, it'd be a shame to not be able to share because of some pesky scanning issues. But if not, it's nice to have you here anyway.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Lee, from a New England Yankee. Hope to see some of your work posted in the gallery.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    And welcome from old England.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Hi Lee, welcome, and we look forward to hearing from you. Peter.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Shively
    But the fever came back a few years ago, traumas began to the credit card, food was moved from the freezer to make room for film and the rear bathroom of our home became a part time darkroom. My wife was thrilled. Our dog was victimized. The world was changing.

Welcome. If the comment about the wife being thrilled was not sarcastic, can you have your's call mine and explain that taking over the freezer for film and the bathroom is perfectly acceptabl?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave Miller posted what I was going to type but welcome here anyway LOL

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin