Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,777   Posts: 1,671,097   Online: 975

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    The internet is a great resource in these times of dwindling availability of traditional materials but I always give the local merchants or sellers first crack at a sale.

Spend some time hanging around here and you will be a Luddite Elitist (or at least be called one), in no time.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks all. What a friendly bunch!

I'm almost convinced. I guess I know already that I am going to buy the darkroom stuff. That's the way I am. Once I get something like this in my mind, it won't go away until I've done it.

So can anyone advise a good starting point. Which film? Which Paper? which chemicals? I have recently acquired a Pentax MZ50 so will be shooting 35mm........For Now......(The next thing creeping into my mind is a Bronica... No! No! stop it! AAAArgh

Graeme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PSSSSSSSSSSSSST, go for the Bronica!
    Since you are thinking MF now, I would suggest an enlarger that would handle that size. Check out the archives, there is plenty of info on what enlargers to buy there.
    And there is plenty of ongoing talk about films, papers and chemicals here.
    Don't be afraid - take the plunge! You'll be glad you did.
    Gppd luck.
    gene
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Welcome Graeme. I have just bought a Meopta Opimus 6 for £10. By all accounts a good enlarger and it take me through my 35mm phase up to 645 and 6x6 so worth getting. Also have the word bronica buzzing through my head at the mo but can't decide on SQ or ETR but thats for another thread!
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quick plug for the LPL 7700. Handles 35mm up to 6x7, pretty well screwed together, readily available in the UK...

More importantly, get yourself a good lens - Nikkor EL or Schneider tend to be names to look for.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Greetings from Canada!

My suggestion... If you're serious about doing your own printing is to buy the best enlarger you can afford.

If you're planning on doing medium format, even down the road... and have room, look into 4x5 enlargers. The stability afforded by a larger chasis is well worth the extra money. I'm on my third and last enlarger... First a 35mm, then a medium format, and now a large format chasis than I can do up to 8x10 if I choose. (I wish I'd put the money from the first two into the third right from the start)

Good luck in your quest,

joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Graeme

Hello and welcome. I'm based in Wigan myself and have found this forum to be one of the finest of its kind. Not only is there a wealth of knowledge but a very high standard of correspondence that makes browsing through the posts a real pleasure. I have owned an opemus in the past and can recommend them.

However (shameless commercial plug coming up), I have a spare Kaiser VP6006 which I want to sell. It will probably come with a 50mm and 80mm lens and wall mounting kit. More expensive than the Opemus but a belting piece of kit.

Drop me a line at avtwiss@ukonline.co.uk if you are slightly intrigued.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin