Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,717   Posts: 1,514,808   Online: 829

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Hi from Rochdale

Hi all,

I was introduced to APUG by Cheryl Jacobs. I have been lurking for a while as I cannot post as currently I am digital (Canon 300D). I am a student of the NYIP and currently working on unit 4. However, I have developed a love for Black and White and have realised I cannot reach the standard I want to achieve digitally and want to "progress" on to film. I realise that to shoot black and white film and have it process and printed commercially is a waste of time and money and I guess I just need a little persuasion to take the plunge and buy a darkroom.

My local Photography shop has a second hand darkroom with a Meopta Optemus? enlarger for sale for £100.00.

Should I?

Can anyone convince me?

Is there anyone local to me in Lancashire/Greater Manchester who can show me the ropes and get me started?

Regards

Graeme

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Graham,

Welcome

There are huge amounts of darkroom equipment being sold on eb*y UK. Have a look there first.

Barry
    London UK

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Graeme -

(**** Plunge, plunge! ****)

Good to see you here! It's a great place to learn. It's not a bad idea to check eb*y, but really, however you do it will work just fine. Film B&W is a whole different animal, and it's incredibly satisfying (at least for me) to create prints with my hands rather than my computer.

- CJ

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme
    Hi all,

I was introduced to APUG by Cheryl Jacobs. I have been lurking for a while as I cannot post as currently I am digital (Canon 300D). I am a student of the NYIP and currently working on unit 4. However, I have developed a love for Black and White and have realised I cannot reach the standard I want to achieve digitally and want to "progress" on to film. I realise that to shoot black and white film and have it process and printed commercially is a waste of time and money and I guess I just need a little persuasion to take the plunge and buy a darkroom.

My local Photography shop has a second hand darkroom with a Meopta Optemus? enlarger for sale for £100.00.

Should I?

Can anyone convince me?

Is there anyone local to me in Lancashire/Greater Manchester who can show me the ropes and get me started?

Regards

Graeme
    Barry's advice is sound, however I doubt that you will go far wrong in buying the set-up that your local shop is selling, I'm sure they will come down on the price if you show a little interest, and you should end up with everything you need to get going immediatly.
    The Yorkshire Monochrome Group meets not too far away from you. I recommend that you book a place at their next meeting. Check their web site for details, they are a good bunch that always mount a good days entertainment:
    http://www.yorkshire-monochrome.org.uk/

Apart from all that welcome.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Graeme
    Graeme,

Welcome from the great state of Hawaii. I hope you enjoy your time here, and I hope you learn a lot. I think for me, it's not how much I have learned here, but how much I have been inspired. As for the darkroom equipment, if it is not out of your budget, it would be worth purchasing, even if it is just for the experience you gain from using the equipment.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi Graeme and welcome,

The kit you've been offered sounds pretty good but there is a lot of choice out there at the moment and you would be well advised to look around before deciding that this is the right deal for you. Ebay is one option, but also check out Loot and the local small ads.

I'm not familiar with the NYIP; could you supply a little more detail?

I got started on an NCFE Practical Photography course at my local college. I arrived wanting to learn how to shoot, not interested in processing and printing and three months later I bought a secondhand darkroom...! It'd be worth checking whether the course still has trad darkroom on it, but now is the perfect time of year to opt in.

All the best for your endeavours and I look forward to seeing your work in the galleries when you get your feet on the ground.

Regards,

Frank

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    I'm not familiar with the NYIP; could you supply a little more detail?
    New York Institute of Photography - a mail order course here in the US.

http://www.nyip.com/
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group and YES go out and buy yourself an enlarger!

I can recommend the Meopta's and several others here use them also. You'll get plenty of advice and all the help you need from everyone here, so you have no excuse not to take the leap. There you go sales pitch over so do you want that wrapped or take it as it is?

Tony

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I should have also mentioned that the NCFE PP course is an evening class, not a full time course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Graeme!

It's sooo nice to hear that you are becoming enchanted with B&W! I think that once you develop a roll of film, you will start to be hooked...then...when you see your first print start to appear in the developer...well...can you say "Nirvana"???

Welcome aboard!
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin