Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,903   Posts: 1,521,227   Online: 1081

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hello from Plymouth, England

Hello all,

I'm a photography student at the University of Plymouth, and all I use is film, both medium format and 35mm. I have also recently taken part in a project where I've used 5x4 as well, which was a great experience.

I stumbled upon this website while I was doing some research for an essay I have to do, primarily trying to find out about the decline of film photography in comparison to the new and relevant digital age. I was amazed at the incredible amount of information available on this site, not only about using film, but a variety of different darkroom techniques which is something I find very useful. Particularly as I use both Black and White and Colour darkrooms.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Well, allow me to welcome you to our environs.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello and welcome to APUG from western New England.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Hi from just over the road in the Babbage Building! (Presumably you're in Scott?)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leetastic View Post
    I was amazed at the incredible amount of information available on this site, not only about using film, but a variety of different darkroom techniques which is something I find very useful. Particularly as I use both Black and White and Colour darkrooms.
    While commercial and especially industrial demand may have significantly declined; there is still a strong case for photographic film and paper. With particular regard to printing in the darkroom, the process of working with materials directly can form a real connection to what one is doing; not so possible when using a near 100% abstracted workflow of digital camera - computer - inkjet output. However, hybrids of digital and analogue can be very viable in certain situations, more of which can be discussed on www.dpug.org

Returning to 'the decline of the darkroom', I'd be willing to conjecture that statement can be used as a self-serving mantra to justify silly decisions such as colleges closing down darkrooms because "digital is the future" without due recourse to logic.

Tom

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to apug.
    No decline here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG! There is no decline here.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Hi from just over the road in the Babbage Building! (Presumably you're in Scott?)
    Steve
    Hi Steve, Yeah I am based in Scott building, its a small world on the internet

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw View Post
    While commercial and especially industrial demand may have significantly declined; there is still a strong case for photographic film and paper. With particular regard to printing in the darkroom, the process of working with materials directly can form a real connection to what one is doing; not so possible when using a near 100% abstracted workflow of digital camera - computer - inkjet output. However, hybrids of digital and analogue can be very viable in certain situations, more of which can be discussed on www.dpug.org

Returning to 'the decline of the darkroom', I'd be willing to conjecture that statement can be used as a self-serving mantra to justify silly decisions such as colleges closing down darkrooms because "digital is the future" without due recourse to logic.

Tom

Tom
    Thanks for the reply Tom, it really is an interesting aspect the way that a lot of Colleges and Universities are just removing the analogue aspect to photography, but as I see, without having started using Film, I don't think I'd understand any where near any of the technical aspects of photography that I know and love today.

By simply starting with the fundamental principles of photography, it can always lay down a fantastic ground work for fully understanding how a camera works. With todays digital era, alot of people simply rely on automatic mode, which for me as a practical photography is really disheartening that people just point and click their camera and they believe that their final image is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry if this has turned in to a bit of a rant, but its always good to be in contact with like-minded film users who seem to share the same passion as myself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin