A Lost Sheep Returns to the Fold
* Started photography at the age of 11, B&W 120 film, box camera found in
* First film developed shortly after
* Apprenticed as a portrait/wedding photographer at age 16
Started working while attending high-school at age 17
* First color film (C-22, E-3, E-4) and color printing (trays) at age 20
* Worked as wedding photographer since age 21
* Built Dichroic color head conversions for Leica Focomat at age 23
* Opened own photo lab at age 24
* Attended school and worked as photo technician, supervisor, manager
starting at age 26
* Specialized in corrective techniques (masking, separation, etc.),
mural printing (30"x40" and larger), dye transfer, dye transfer over standard
* Built computer systems for process control, workflow management, business
for large custom labs. This concluded a fifteen yeas career in the Photography
* Spent the next 25 years specializing in computer engineering;
worked on parallel systems, RDBMS internals, O/S internals, storage systems,
* Fell ill, forced into retirement
* Re-ignited interest in photography, developed keen dislike to the immature
nature of digital photography
* Current cameras: Nikon F3, Bronica S2, various lenses
* Substituted digital printing for darkroom due to physical and financial
* Scanning on Nikon Coolscan scanners
* Currently working on tuning several ink-jet printers (Epson 1900, Artisan 725,
HP 6500) and rapidly gaining detailed insight into the subject
* Current film; various Vision2 and Vision3 film processed in genuine ECN-2 kit
chemicals - unbelievably beautiful results!
* Working on: Open Source iT8.7 target, tight calibration of printers on Linux,
Color Conversion tools, Documenting methodology for ICN-2 processing in small
tanks, portrait photography, various accessories to adapt incompatible or
dicontinued hardware; battery belt for F3 motor drive, SB-16 strobe,
revolutionary lighting systems, and more...
I reside in the SE USA, with my large family, many cats and a dog.
Sanjay Sen - APUG Subscriber
Sanjay Sen, 36, a champion of human and animal rights, died June 3 in a motorcycle accident in Wayne, New Jersey.
July 23 1975 - June 3 2012
Warm welcome to APUG. Wow with that kind of CV.... I'm so not worthy
BTW, do you still keep the Dichroic head you built for the Focomat? Quite interesting read if care to share.
Welcome to APUG, Simon! You sure do have a lot of experience!
Yet another IT type joins the fold.... Welcome! You are among friends here.
age 7 - built his own soldering iron from a kit... hehe
Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
Welcome to APUG!
Yes we nerds sure seems to love the analogue world
What a fabulous history you have. One of the greatest aspects of taking a leave of absence from film is the utter exhilaration and appreciation we feel at the smallest of details. Enjoy
That's some CV.
I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.
Simon - hello and welcome to APUG.
Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
"I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc