Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,898   Online: 1058

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Eh, I'm bored...

After almost 2 years of lurking with an account, and another 5 or so without, I figure I might as well introduce myself.

Hi!

My name is Bob. I'm a 25-year-old assistant news editor for a tiny daily newspaper in upstate NY. Many moons ago, I studied photography in college, but I haven't had the space for a darkroom since.

I got bored tonight, and after a quick trip to Walgreens for some cheap film, I went out and shot a roll for the first time in years. God, I missed this .

I'll be looking for some info on building my new darkroom (plenty of space in my new house), as well as some alternatives to my old Tri-X (I priced a 100ft roll at 75 freaking dollars at B&H... last time I bought it was $45 or so... damn) and maybe to get rid of some of my lesser-used stuff for something new and nice.

Thanks for reading and looking,
    --Bob
    Last edited by drumminor2nd; 05-06-2011 at 08:10 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Deleted links to photos, because apparently APUG hates me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bob!!! Welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.
    gene LaFord

Long live Ed "Big Daddy" Roth!!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I don't care about Milwaukee or Chicago." - Yvon LeBlanc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome from western PA (and I grew up in a small town in upstate NY).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home Bob.

I Love Upstate New York !

Ron

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome home.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome.

Try Arista Premium 400 from Freestyle as a cheaper alternative. It is relabeled Tri-X. At a bit over $2 per roll, you can skip the bulk loading and still be well ahead. And if you do still want to bulk load, it is available in 100 foot rolls for about $45. This is after a price increase, too. It was about $30 a roll a few months ago.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Hiddy-Ho Bob! Nice to read you're channeling that boredom! Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the encouragement, all. I used to bulk load short-dated Tri-X a couple of years ago, and that worked out well for me. It goes well with my other hobby, actually (sporter rifle-style target shooting, where I have to reload to save money and up accuracy).

I've done some searching on the Arista films and papers, and those might do for on the cheap. I'm not looking at making any money, I just like taking pictures .

I came back to this hobby... umm... today... after emptying out my storage shed, which has been loaded for more than a year. I found all my darkroom stuff, plus my F3 and FM and lenses. I haven't even been shooting my D90, which was chilling at my office for months at a time without even being turned on. So sad .

But since I work for a newspaper office, we have tons of darkroom stuff just gathering dust here, and the boss said it's mine if I get it out of here, hehe. So, that's two Omega D2's I'll have, as well as a Bessler 23 and lots of other goodies.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Bob!

free gear is always sweet! those D2s are very good! Freestyle has good deals on their recan/rebadged films. The Legacy Pro B&W 400 ISO 35mm 20 Roll Pack (Short-date Special) (neopan) is on sale for $35, HP5+ is also on sale as buy 1 get 1 free (2roll pack) $4.59.

the arista edu papers are good value as well, I burn through boxes of those where I teach photography, excellent to practice on if your a bit rusty, or to make contact sheets.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Bob! I hop you enjoy being here.

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin