Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,727   Posts: 1,515,153   Online: 1071

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Hello from Katy, TX

I've lurked for a short while, though I've known of APUG for at least a year now. My interest in photography began in Baqubah, Iraq. I needed something to do in what little free time an infantry soldier is afforded and it needed to be less noisy than my guitar.

Years later, I'm thoroughly addicted to photography though my tastes are shifting in the general direction of film. I expressed an interest in film on another forum and one of the members sent me a 35mm EOS body for free. I never really warmed up to that camera, and have since given it to another member of another forum who posted an interest in shooting film.

What pushed me over the edge was a Mamiya C3 I bought from wclavey. Truth be told, I purchased the camera with the intent of it sitting on a shelf looking pretty. I was also given a few rolls of film with the camera so I figured I'd shoot them. Instant love. It now sits in the shelf space my "I need to grab this and go!" gear lives. It kicked my 5D Mark II off that shelf and back into a case from which it seldom emerges.

Folding cameras have replaced my point and shoot digitals as well. My motorcycle's vibrations, as few as they are, have fried the circuits of several Canon G9s. Several thousand miles have been unable to shake the resolve of either my Agfa Isolette III or my Kodak Retina IIa. One of those two cameras is on me at pretty much all times now.

By the end of this week, after I finish a differential equations final on Wednesday, I will start and finish a darkroom build at my house. The centerpiece will be a Beseler CB7 I picked up two weeks ago with several lenses (Nikkor, Schneider, and Rodenstock), many carriers, easels, trays, and more odds and ends than I can shake a stick at. Hopefully I've got some enlargements to share in the not too distant future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While differential equations are useful for other pursuits, you will not have a great use for them in photography. [What degree are you working on? Which field?]

That said, welcome to APUG.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Far out, and a hardy welcome to Apug. Consider this your new home.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to APUG, looking forward to seeing your work here! And thanks for your service!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Steve, I'm studying mechanical engineering at the University of Houston.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the welcomes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony J. Martinez View Post
    Steve, I'm studying mechanical engineering at the University of Houston.
    Great.

What is the difference between Mechanical Engineers and Civil Engineers?
    Mechanical Engineers build munitions.
    Civil Engineers build targets.
    Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I fought the biological connection with mechanical engineering for some time (both my father and my grandfather are MEs). I studied both ME and computer science pre-Army. I added criminal justice to the list while I was active duty, and when I left the service I studied journalism for a year before deciding to finish what I started in 2001. My younger brother, an electrical engineer, noted that if I'd managed to get circulated by the New York Times, Washington Post, LA Times, and have BBC call for an interview it might not be overly necessary to have a degree in journalism. It followed from there that few things would keep me from writing with an engineering degree but engineering with a journalism degree might not work out so well. As one who prefers a challenge it made sense for me to go back to my roots. UH got the nod because the GI Bill actually pays me more to live in Houston than any of the other cities with colleges of engineering willing to take me as a transfer student. My grandfather earning his PhD there did not hurt any either.

The CB7 out in the garage is distracting me a ton though. I really just want to build the darkroom now and go into the final without preparing. It's highly unlikely I do poorly enough on the final to fail the course but I'd rather knock it out of the park. No sense doing well on three exams to throw it all away by not caring about the final. I suspect my negatives will be just as happy to be enlarged this weekend as they will tonight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Anthony. My name is Valerie..... lol

You got the bug and you got it good! I hear you are even talking LF!
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Indeed I do. I'm not sure whether to blame Westley or Wayne for the LF mumblings. Westley showed me some 4x5 contact prints and my brain exploded. Wayne said I should get an enlarger to handle 4x5, just in case. Now I have an enlarger for 4x5, but no 4x5 to enlarge with it. For shame.

I did send the enlargement of Meg to her for graduation. She loved it. Thanks again for showing me how to do all of that. I suspect that package of paper I bought will not last through the weekend. I also seem to have lost my cable release somewhere between here and Austin. Looks like a stop at Co-op on my way home from my final will be in order. Might as well pick up some chemistry while I'm there. No good reason not too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin