Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,459   Online: 753

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Introduction to my sickness & me

Hi, I figure it's about time to introduce myself to to masses. I've been a member here for over a year and a subscriber for just under a year. I'm living in the middle of Nova Scotia on Canada's east coast. Spent most of my life living and working within 2 hours of where I am now. Retired early with a package and pension from the telecommunications industry. Some thirty + years moving from 60wpm teletypes to gigabit fiber. I stated photography just after high school doing all my own processing and printing, both BW and colour. Continued strong for many years with a Nikon F2 and then a F3. Took a long break from photography for many years. The camera was always there but didn't get as much use as it should have. Never really caught the Digital fever although I do have a D5000 for colour family type snapshots and net postings.

Recently I've revived the darkroom work when I discovered just how cheap it could be to build a darkroom that I could only dream off in the '70s. I've set up a nice room in a spare bedroom and plan to take over a large part of the basement this summer.

Now for the sickness part, actually two parts. First age has caught up to me. Both knees need replacing and docs say I'm not old enough. Some days it's real tough and it can take a toll in more ways than one. I cope.

The second sickness is GAS. I've managed to pick up a nice RB67 ProS setup, Three lenses, backs etc. Just finally picked up a nice used LowePro commercial bag to hold it all, so some road trips should be forthcoming. I still have the Nikon F3 which I bought new all those years ago, picked up a spare body and rounded out my lens collection with a 300mm last summer. On the darkroom side I have a serious problem. I still have my Beseler 23C from the 70's. In the last year I've picked up more enlargers and darkroom gear than one person should have. I now have a collection of Omega 760s, 2 Beseler 45s (one real nice, one so so) and today I picked up my 2nd & 3rd Omega D5s. The first D5 was last fall and came with about ten unopened boxes of Ilford paper. The last two, one colour, one condenser I picked up today from a government surplus auction. (Thanks go out to Alan, another APUG member for your help, much appreciated). Oh and I've found a Fujimoto CP31 and an Ilford 2150 in my basement too. There are also a couple 4x5 cameras waiting patiently to be used.

That's part of my story, I know I need help.

George
    PS just love this place and especially the Postcard exchanges.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, the RB won't help with your knee problem, that's for sure, but it's a great system for making pictures. Welcome in from the lurk, good to have you here.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home George !

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey George. Welcome to the GAS house. We all (well, MOST of us) have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the site George, from down the road in Halifax.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the intro, George.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad to have you here with us.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome and enjoy your stay. Have fun finishing your darkroom. I can't wait until I have a nice permanent space.
    Jason

Shooter
    35mm
    Welcome George. I suggest you search APUG for applying wheels to photographic bags or use contractions to that effect such as pushchairs. Unloading your back, and knees, from the weight of the gear is the first thing I would think of. I would also begin some studio work as a way to spend time with my hobby without stressing my knees too much (as your heavy RB would work on a tripod). Also I would set my darkroom so that I can work seated most of the time.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin